Designed to meet the needs of multiple events, Nova Scotia's Halifax Convention Centre offers over 120,000 square feet of flexible event space in the heart of downtown. The Halifax Convention Centre is part of the Nova Centre, a million square foot, mixed-use development that includes a hotel, office towers, and retail space. It is the largest integrated development project in the province's history.
The Halifax Convention Centre, managed by Events East Group, is now inviting applications for the position of Commis 1 (First Cooks) with our Culinary team.
The focus of these roles is to assist in all aspects of food preparation. Commis work as part of a world class culinary team that prepares a from-scratch menu highlighting local product and talent.
- Completion of a one-year or a two-year recognized culinary program.
- At least 3 years of related experience.
- Reliable, friendly individuals with a strong attention to detail and high standards of personal hygiene and grooming with regard to food safety.
- Comfortable working as part of a team.
- Able to work standing for long periods of time, to perform repetitive tasks, lift up to 50lbs, push or pull wheeled equipment up to 200lbs (assisted)
- Must be legally permitted to work in Canada.
- Should be comfortable working in a fast paced, high volume environment.
- Excellent customer service skills when interacting with clients.
- Must be available to work varying shifts including, evening, weekends, and holidays.
- Red Seal Certification or equivalent required to qualify for Commis 1 (First Cook)
Benefits of joining our team:
- Competitive hourly wages (comprehensive benefits available upon enrolment in the bargaining unit)
- Full uniform provided
- On-the-job training with skilled professionals and state of the art equipment
This is a bargaining unit position represented by Unifor, Local 4005. All internal candidates have been considered, and we now encourage external applicants to apply.
Events East is committed to a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons, and persons from the LGBTQ+ community. We encourage applicants to self-identify.
During the recruitment process, applicants have the right to request an accommodation. Any applicant invited to participate in testing or an interview and who requires an accommodation should discuss their needs, in confidence, with the Recruiter when selected.
TO APPLY: Please send resume and references to [email protected] with COMMIS 1 (FIRST COOK) in the subject line or via Career Beacon.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be reviewed as they are received until the position is filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for interview will be contacted.
For further information, please visit our website at www.eventseast.com