*$5000 signing incentive available
Marine Atlantic provides a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Come experience the pride of working with a diverse organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for future sustainability.
Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include
- competitive salaries
- defined benefit pension plan
- comprehensive health and benefit packages
- extensive professional development and training opportunities
We are currently looking for Junior Engineers to work onboard our vessels that operate from the ports of Port aux Basques NL and North Sydney NS year-round; and Argentia NL during the summer season. These positions are permanent full-time spare and relief positions that are scheduled across our fleet and each tour based on operational requirements.
*Marine Atlantic is prepared to offer successful candidates a $5,000.00 signing incentive in return for one year return of service in the Junior Engineer position. Candidates who choose to leave the company before the completion of the 1 year of return for service, must reimburse the company the balance of the $5,000.00 signing incentive on a pro rata basis.
Reporting directly to the Chief Engineer and supervised by the Senior Engineer of the Watch, the Junior Engineer carries out watchkeeping duties in the Engine Room. This position must be familiar with the operation of our vessel's machinery and have a full understanding of boilers, pumping systems, refueling procedures, hydraulics, thermodynamics, refrigeration, and air conditioning. The Junior Engineer is required to assist in performing preventative maintenance and, under the direction of the Second Engineer, carry out corrective maintenance duties as assigned.
With a focus on safety and the environment, this position is required to perform or assist in all maintenance activities, show good mechanical skills and judgment, and have the ability to follow written and oral instructions.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Performing watches under the direction of the Senior Engineer on watch.
- Communicating with the previous watch keepers and discussing
any issues that may have occurred while on watch.
- Having knowledge of all running machinery and their auxiliary
- Ensuring all machinery is in good running condition without any safety hazards. Any issues found must be reported to the Senior Engineer on Watch
- Performing corrective or planned maintenance work as directed by the Senior Engineer on watch.
- Making a pre-watch round of all machinery spaces on all levels of the vessel to check machinery parameters, levels and operation.
- Reporting results of sounding tanks to Senior Engineer on Watch.
What qualifications do I need to be considered for this opportunity?
Education and Certification
Valid 4th Class Motor Certificate STCW 95
- Propulsion Plant Simulator Certificate I
- STCW 6.1 6.2
- Valid Transport Canada Marine Medical Examination
- Proficiency in Survival Craft
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Passenger Safety Management
- Marine Advanced First Aid
- Confined Space Certification
Marine Atlantic's Tour Pattern
There is a monthly tour pattern for regularly assigned positions of 15 days on and 15 days off, normally commencing the 1st and 15th of each month. As a new employee, you will be called for work in accordance with operational requirements; therefore, you may be required to work in intervals throughout both tours (i.e. one month) in order to obtain 15 days of work. Please note, you may be called to work fewer than or in excess of 15 days per month should it be operationally required.
Why work for the Marine Atlantic team?
As part of the Marine Atlantic team, you will participate in a variety of ongoing training programs and development opportunities to navigate your career and chart your course for success. We provide a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include competitive salaries, defined benefit pension plan, comprehensive health benefit packages, and professional development opportunities. Come experience the pride of working with an organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for the future.
How do you become part of our team?
If you meet the listed qualifications, are interested in this opportunity and exemplify our core values, please apply online.
All applicants must apply online:
- This is a designated Safety Sensitive position and subject to the provisions of Marine Atlantic's Drug and Alcohol Policy which includes, but not limited to pre-employment testing. Marine Atlantic has a zero-tolerance policy for alcohol, cannabis, and illicit drugs.
- Marine Atlantic recognizes the importance of vaccination to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 while continuing to provide an essential service to the province of Newfoundland and Labrador. All employees are required to follow Marine Atlantic Covid-19 protocols. As mandated by the Government of Canada, all employees, including new hires, are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is requested and authorized based on one of the prohibited grounds of discrimination as defined by the Canadian Human Rights Act. As part of the recruitment process, proof of vaccination for COVID-19 will be required or the necessary documentation to provide an approved accommodation.
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
At Marine Atlantic, we are dedicated to building and fostering an inclusive and diverse environment, where all employees and customers feel welcomed, valued, and respected.
Marine Atlantic invites applications from all qualified candidates and hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principles of equitable employment for all and strongly encourage applications from women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and 2SLGBTQIA+ community members. If you are a member of one or more of these groups, please state to which group(s) you identify in your cover letter, resume or application.
To receive this job poster in an alternative format or to discuss alternate ways of completing the online application, please contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department, in confidence, at [email protected]
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the recruitment process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department, in confidence, at [email protected]