Position at VON Canada (Ontario)
Employment Status: Regular, Part Time (0.7 FTE)
Program Name: Home Support
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 52.5
Work Schedule: Days, Evenings, Weekends
Union/Bargaining Unit: SEIU
On Call: No
The PSW provides personal care and health maintenance to individuals and families in the home setting within the framework of VON philosophy, policies, procedures and standards, in community health care.
This position is eligible for the temporary $3.00 per hour wage enhancement from the Ontario Government for all hours spent directly caring for clients.
- Observes and evaluates the client's or family's home, personal situation and client and family care plan to determine if any need for change in the personal support care plan is required and whether the client's and family's needs have been met. Advises supervisor accordingly.
- Contributes to the development of the personal support care plan under the direction of the supervisor and/or manager
- Reports verbally to the immediate supervisor or manager any changes in the client's or family's personal support needs or home situation necessitating a change in the personal support care plan.
- Performs support in Activities of Daily Living as directed by the care plan. Tasks may include light cleaning, preparation of nutritious meals, care of clothes, and monitoring and maintaining household safety.
- Provides personal care as directed by the care plan, including personal hygiene (bathing, skin care, hair care, toileting, peri care, etc.) assisting the client in walking, climbing or descending stairs, getting into and out of bed, eating, dressing and other personal care matters as needed.
- Provides simple bedside care, where required
- Provides respite care to clients as required.
- Supports clients' families by providing child care as required to allow for family relief.
- Organizes each day's activities, setting priorities for personal support and other activities of daily living
- Completes daily call checks, as required, to maintain the effective and efficient operation of the personal and home support service.
- Assesses the client's pattern of communication and ability to relate.
- Communicates with appropriate members of the health team regarding the management of the client's physical, and emotional needs and informs an immediate supervisor or Manager of any changes or concerns.
- Functions and reports in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety legislation, regulations, and VON policies and procedures.
- Functions in accordance with VON's risk management policies, procedures, practices and guidelines designed to promote and protect client safety.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Personal Support Worker or Developmental Services Worker certification is required
- Nursing students are welcome to apply. Must have completed first year of RPN and second year of BScN to be eligible
- Must have personal vehicle for daily use and possess both a current driver's license and proof of vehicle insurance
- Must have a current CPR level C Certificate
- Ability to work flexible hours
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required upon the start of your employment
- A vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal and organization skills
- Able to communicate effectively with clients and families in a clear and effective manner that demonstrates respect, empathy and understanding
- Good assessment skills
- Experience working with elderly or ill individuals or children.
- Ability to work independently and problem solve
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team or independently as required
- Able to take direction well
- Ability to adjust to working in different social and economic environments
- The capacity to adhere to strict confidentially
- Household management experience.
- The use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be required
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further information and contact details.
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its' discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates.
In accordance with the Employer's policy, Mandatory Vaccination: COVID-19, it is required that all VON Canada Nova Scotia Branch, VON Canada Ontario Branch and VON Canada (National) employees, contractors, volunteers and students be fully vaccinated (subject only to legitimate established exemptions of a medical nature or where there is a valid human rights exception).
To facilitate this policy, all VON Canada employees, students, contractors and volunteers will be required to provide written attestation confirming that they are fully vaccinated and reasonable proof of vaccination status, inclusive of any government-issued documentation.