Competition # EM21451, Full Time Permanent, West Region
Closing date: October 21, 2021
Registered Nurse Class D
Full Time Permanent
FULL TIME EQUIVALENT
HOURS OF WORK
0800hr to 1600hr Monday to Friday. Subject to change due to operational requirements.
ANTICIPATED START DATE
As soon as possible
ANTICIPATED END DATE
As per collective agreement
Written and spoken competence in English is required
October 21, 2021
Provides comprehensive and accessible primary health care services, illness/injury prevention, chronic disease management and rehabilitation and reablement services, within an interdisciplinary team of EMP health providers, Physicians, and community partners. The service model is based on the principles of primary health care with the primary goal of supporting patients and their families and caregivers in meeting their health care needs. The Nurse Practitioner provides direct primary care in the home setting of the patient or the EMP Unit and may participate in the development and implementation of programs and services for individuals, families and the community. Provides direct care to scheduled and unscheduled patients across the lifespan with a variety of health conditions and socioeconomic factors. Evaluates patient outcomes, provides consultation to and consults with other team members. Is accountable to the established benchmarks within EMP and professional practice standards. This Nurse Practitioner will also be part of the Rapid Response Team that is deployed to support an Adult Residential Facility if an Outbreak occurs.
Assessment and On-going Patient Care:
- Completes a comprehensive health assessment including as appropriate, assessments pertaining to cognitive function, activities of daily living, caregiver burden, and home environment;
- Orders, obtains, performs and interprets diagnostic and laboratory screening tests in accordance to schedules "A" and "B" of the NANB Nurse Practitioner Schedules for Ordering;
- Establishes a diagnosis by critically analysing information obtained through a health history, comprehensive health assessment and investigation results;
- Initiates appropriate treatment plan in collaboration with the patient and other team members as indicated, including the patient's primary care provider;
- Therapeutic Management of Acute and Chronic Conditions;
- Demonstrates knowledge of current best-practice guidelines for the delivery of care;
- Prescribes, adjusts and renews medications in accordance to Schedule "C" of the NANB Nurse Practitioner Schedules for Ordering;
- Monitors, evaluates and alters therapies and treatments as appropriate. This includes pre and post-intervention assessments, use of pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions, and patient education;
- Consults with EMP team, primary care physician and specialists to form a plan of care
- Initiates timely referral or collaboration with other team members, as indicated;
- Health Promotion of Healthy Aging in place and prevention of and further deterioration of frailty, dementia, illness and injury;
- Collaborates with the patient and caregivers to identify short and long-term health goals to assist in healthy aging and the management of the patient's chronic condition if existing;
- Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of health promotion services and facilitates primary, secondary and tertiary prevention strategies for all patients and their caregivers/families;
- Incorporates risk reduction and disease and injury prevention strategies for all patients; and
- As part of the interdisciplinary team, participates in the development and implementation of community and population health interventions as required.
Professional Responsibility and Accountability:
- Maintains the competencies as outlined in the NANB Standards of Practice for Primary Health Care Nurse Practitioners;
- Accountable and evaluated through standardized provincial and EMP benchmarks;
- Exemplifies and promotes excellence in advance practice nursing care;
- Utilizes nursing and other research to support clinical knowledge and evidence-based practice;
- Establishes a network of referral sources to accommodate the provision of care to patient. Referral sources are internal and external to EMP;
- Functions as a resource person, preceptor and mentor to Nurse Practitioner students, peers and other health professionals; and
- Assumes responsibility for self-directed professional development and participates in professional education activities at the clinic setting.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing and successful completion of a postgraduate Nurse Practitioner program in Primary Health Care. Master's degree in Nursing preferred;
- At least 2 years of experience working with the senior population;
- Has primary health care experience in a CHC, Health Centre or Collaborative practice within the last 2 years;
- Current registration with NANB as a Nurse Practitioner;
- Current BCLS certification;
- Comprehensive knowledge of geriatrics, standards of care and best practice in promoting healthy aging, including assessment, diagnosis and treatment of conditions pertaining to geriatrics;
- Must be able to provide comprehensive health care across the lifespan and specifically the senior years, including those living with dementia and frailty;
- Comprehensive knowledge in caring for clients and their caregivers throughout the client's lifespan;
- Comprehensive ability to collaborate with the client and community partners to build their capacity and attain healthy outcomes;
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated organizational and leadership skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with other members of a team toward common goals;
- Demonstrated ability to function independently in the role with recognized decision-making and problem-solving skills;
- Demonstrated ability to critically analyze theory and research literature and apply to practice;
- Demonstrated ability to integrate a determinants of health approach into care delivery;
- Submit a valid and clean criminal record check;
- Actively participates as a team member to provide comprehensive care to all patients;
- Timely communication to EMP patients' Physicians and Nurse Practitioners;
- Must be able to work all shifts as assigned, maintaining a good attendance record;
- Must have a high regard for confidentiality;
- Must have excellent work habits and have a professional appearance; and
- Ability to travel throughout the region as required.
If you are interested in working with a dynamic team of professionals and possess the necessary qualifications, please click the 'Apply Now' button to submit your resume.
We would like to thank all candidates for expressing interest. Please note only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
EM/ANB Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.