Registered Nurse (RN) - Corrections (TPT 0.5)
Position at VON Canada (Nova Scotia)
Employment Status: Temporary, Part Time (0.5 FTE)
Program Name: VON Pictou County Nursing
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 37.5
Union/Bargaining Unit: NSNU
Anticipated End Date: 11/30/2021
Location: This position is for the correctional facility in Priestville, and working in the community every second weekend
Area of work: Pictou County
Portability of seniority as per NSNU Agreement
Nurses who join our team receive diverse assignments and ongoing clinical education and training opportunities. Nurses will provide professional nursing consultation services on a wide variety of nursing issues in a corrections facility.
- Provide and manage high quality and appropriate nursing care to all individuals and/or families in the community who are assigned to their care
- Responsible to teach and delegate tasks and functions to different levels of workers and to family members and others in accordance with the standards and scope of practice as determined by VON and the College of Registered Nurses of Nova Scotia
- Comply with all standards, policies, procedures and legislative requirements
- Participate as a member of the health care team in relevant committees and working groups
- Must be licensed as a Registered Nurse in the province of practice
- Mental Health and addictions experience is considered an asset
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Emergency room experience is an asset
- Demonstrated competencies in observation, independent assessment and health education
- Experience providing nursing care to adults and seniors
- Can effectively use software for client documents, word processing & communication
- Experience conducting comprehensive nursing assessments
- Strong oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Valid CPR C / First Aid required
- Must have a personal vehicle and possess both a current driver's license and proof of vehicle insurance
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required upon the start of your employment
- A vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
- Ability to speak French is an asset in French Designated areas
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its' discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates.
In accordance with the Employer's policy, Mandatory Vaccination: COVID-19, it is required that all VON Canada Nova Scotia Branch, VON Canada Ontario Branch and VON Canada (National) employees, contractors, volunteers and students be fully vaccinated (subject only to legitimate established exemptions of a medical nature or where there is a valid human rights exception).
To facilitate this policy, all VON Canada employees, students, contractors and volunteers will be required to provide written attestation confirming that they are fully vaccinated and reasonable proof of vaccination status, inclusive of any government-issued documentation.