Competition # EM21217, Full Time Permanent, Saint John
Closing date: June 24, 2021
Full Time Permanent
FULL TIME EQUIVALENT
HOURS OF WORK
0800hr to 1600hr, Monday to Friday, rotating days. Subject to change due to operational requirements.
ANTICIPATED START DATE
September 6, 2021
ANTICIPATED END DATE
As per collective agreement
Written and spoken competence in English is required.
June 24, 2021
The Extra Mural Program Liaison Nurse is a key member of the interdisciplinary team. The Liaison Nurse coordinates care between hospitals and home on a local and provincial basis, in accordance with the philosophy, objectives and policies of the EMP. The Liaison Nurse fulfills this responsibility by leading transitional care planning between hospital and home, reducing inappropriate admission to hospital by leading EMP centred care planning between hospital and home, coordinating EMP clinical services; informing and educating hospital personnel of both scope and the limitations of the EMP, engaging patients and caregivers in care planning; providing information to patients and their caregivers regarding EMP and assisting with short term equipment needs within the scope of the EMP. The Liaison Nurse's role in planning for EMP clinical services is essential for safe, effective and timely discharge enabling the patient's needs to be met in the right place at the right time, by the right provider.
As an employee of EMP, the Liaisons are accountable to our patients and families and co-workers by participating in and supporting safety related initiatives as well as acting in a manner that fosters a culture of learning. Safety for patients, caregivers, and workplace are kept the priority.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate EMP care planning with patients, caregivers and healthcare team, including physicians and nurse practitioners, to facilitate transition between hospital and home.
- Identify current EMP patients who are admitted to hospital and provide written or verbal information to the hospital regarding these patients. Dissemination of EMP Transfer of Care information is essential in the continuity of patient care across the continuum. Upon discharge, help facilitate an efficient, safe and coordinated transition back to community with the appropriate mechanisms in place. Effective transfer of information from and to EMP is a vital link in the circle of care.
- Provide EMP Units with updates on hospitalized EMP patients to help determine appropriateness of discharge from EMP services.
- Identify and assess appropriate patients for admission to EMP. Assess patient needs, existing or potential formal and informal supports and screen for safety in the home environment to foster a safe transition.
- Ensure referrals contain all relevant medical information, that clear orders are written, and advise which EMP team members should be involved to meet the established needs upon discharge.
- Screen EMP patients for appropriate Personal Support Services (acute, palliative, or Rehab and Reablement) prior to transition back to the community. Consult with EMP Service Delivery units regarding these required home supports (including potential interim services for those patients awaiting Long Term Care Assessment).
- Provide pertinent discharge information to the EMP patient and caregiver; identify patient goals of care and potential caregiver burden; introduce and foster the philosophy of self-management leading to discharge from EMP once independent in their care.
- Lead and participate in patient care conferences to help coordinate services and share information related to discharge of known and potential EMP patients.
- Attend patient rounds on a regular basis and bed utilization round as resources permit or as required.
- Maintain effective working relationships with physicians and nurse practitioners, hospital unit managers and staff, community agencies and partners.
- Communicate with Department of Social Development regarding EMP patients when necessary.
- Promote and communicate the goals of the EMP and disseminate information to hospital and EMP Interdisciplinary Health Care Team.
- Collaborate with Patient Care Teams (hospital and EMP) to facilitate safe transition of the patient from hospital to community, or from one regional hospital to a community hospital if home is soon to be achieved goal.
- Actively participate in the operations of the local EMP Service Delivery Unit through involvement in patient care reviews, continuous quality improvement activities, staff conferences, orientation and other relevant programs or projects.
- Such other functions as may be assigned by the EMP Director or Manager, which are consistent with the role of the Liaison Nurse.
- Orientation/education of new physicians/nurse practitioners regarding the EMP referral process and transitions in care.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND OTHER JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor degree in Nursing;
- Active registration with the Nurses Association of New Brunswick;
- Minimum of five (5) years clinical nursing experience in home healthcare and experience working in acute care, within the last eight (8) years;
- Knowledge of the target population of Extra-Mural Services and available community services;
- Must have a valid New Brunswick Class 5 Driver's License and good driving record (proof required);
- Submit a valid and clean criminal record check;
- Have a current CPR Level C certification that has been issued in the last 12 months;
- Must demonstrate the ability to use computer tools such as Microsoft Office suite ( Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and various Meditech software applications and have an understanding of workload measurement system;
- Must demonstrate the ability to work efficiently as a member of the team and possess leadership and coaching skills, strong interpersonal skills, good judgment and decision making skills;
- Must be able to work all shifts as assigned, maintaining a good attendance record;
- Must have a high regard for confidentiality; and
- Must have excellent work habits and have a professional appearance.
If you are interested in working with a dynamic team of professionals and possess the necessary qualifications, please click the 'Apply Now' button to submit your resume.
We would like to thank all candidates for expressing interest. Please note only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
EM/ANB Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.