Using a markup language (SGML, HTML or XML) the Technical Writer will prepare changes/revisions to existing technical publications and/or create new publications in accordance with prescribed specifications and standards in either electronic or hard copy format. As a key member of our Publication's team, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining comprehensive and accurate technical information for use in Operation and Maintenance Manuals and other types of Technical Publications. Reporting to the Technical Publications, you will be responsible for crafting a range of documentation intended for technical personnel while collaborating with all key stakeholders, including Managers, Engineers, QA and fellow Technical Writers. To succeed in this role, you must be technical oriented and be experienced in working within a dynamic publishing environment.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Prepare, convert, manipulate and transcribe supplied technical data into a markup language (SGML, HTML or XML) for creation of hard copy, electronic or web-based publications.
- Research engineering drawings, technical specifications, equipment catalogues and other source data as required.
- Ensure that the technical data reflects the latest system/equipment configuration.
- Work with Technical Publications team to successfully meet all project priorities and deadlines while following departmental writing/editing practices and procedures.
- Prepare clear and concise material and when required, provide instructions for supporting illustrations.
- Compile text and illustration for presentation to the customer, ensuring the product is technically accurate, logically presented, consistent with the appropriate specifications/standards and all customer requirements have been addressed.
- Other duties as assigned
- Ability to understand markup languages such as SGML/XML and HTML.
- Proficiency in a variety of PC tools and software applications along with working in a CMS.
- Post-secondary education required and post-secondary education in a technical writing capacity or equivalent education preferred.
- Experience in technical writing or comparable role preferred.
- Familiarity with S1000D, ATA, CALs, and MIL/STD Specifications would be considered a definite asset.
- Knowledge of common Aircraft, Naval or Land mechanical, electrical or electronic systems would be considered an asset but is not required.
- Knowledgeable in the use of at least one of the following software platforms: Adobe Framemaker, InDesign, Arbortext Epic Editor, Adobe Acrobat or comparable software for the creation of Technical Publications would be considered an asset.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills with an eye for detail.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Preference given to applicants with the capability to author in both official languages.
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to IMP Occupational Health, Safety and Environment policies. Continually focusing on your individual safety and the safety of others who may be affected by your work and to fully comply with all Federal Health and Safety Legislation.
- Participate in Continuous Improvement, Learn & 8S activities in your area.
- Incumbents must be able to pass and maintain Public Services and Procurement Canada (PSPC) and Transport Canada security clearances.
- The successful applicants will be eligible to meet requirements for the U.S International Traffic In Arms Regulations (ITAR), and Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP).
- Applicants must be able to pass and maintain a Level II (Secret) security clearance with the Department of National Defence.
Qualified applicants are invited to apply on-line at www.impgroup.com.
Internal applicants please use source code: I am an IMP employee.
IMP is committed to Employment Equity and our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative at all job levels. We welcome applicants from Aboriginal People, Visible Minority Groups, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations of positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of the equity groups, you are encouraged to self identify on either your cover letter or resume