Saint John Registered Nurse Class B (RNCB) PCN 1257542
Horizon Health Network in Saint John, NB
Horizon Health Network is an equal opportunity employer.
COMPETITION #: 2020-48334 External
BARGAINING UNIT: NBNU
ZONE: Saint John
DEPARTMENT: SJRH INT MED PGM ADM
FACILITY: Saint John Regional Hospital
POSTING TYPE: Permanent Part Time
JOB TITLE: Neuro/Med Resource Nurse
CLASSIFICATION: RNCB Registered Nurse Class B
LANGUAGE: English Essential
HOURS OF WORK: Day; Evening; FTE: 0.7; Subject to change due to operational requirements
SALARY: $33.32 to $40.58 per hour
This is an advanced practice nursing role in the field of Neurosciences. The individual is the clinical nurse leader within the collaborative nursing model for the following units: Neuro 4BS & NICU, 4CS Rehabilitation with support of Family Medicine Program needs.
- Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing
- Active Registration with the Nurse Association of New Brunswick (NANB)
- Experience working within neurosciences program and a minimum of 5 years acute clinical practice
- Must have current BCLS
- Must have knowledge and competency with NICU skills
- CNA Certification in neurosciences
- LEADS course or ability to complete within 18 months of hire
- Demonstrated and exceptional communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills
- High regard for confidentiality for patients and staff associated information, ethical comportment, and the ability to effectively deal with conflict
- Must be able to work independently within the defined scope of responsibility
- Demonstrated ability to assess, plan, organize, coordinate and evaluate to reach objectives
- Proven computer technology skills: Microsoft applications- Outlook, Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Allscripts and ability to use virtual meeting forums such as SKYPE®. Skills testing required with a minimum score of basic at 50%.
- Must have the ability to work flexible hours
- Travel is a requirement
- Good work and attendance record
- Written and spoken competence in English is required
- Leads clinical work on the Neurosciences Network level. Items include but are not limited to the development of Clinical Order Sets (COS), policies and procedures, and the development of education materials for patients and staff.
- Leads and coordinates organization level clinical initiatives that require education, evaluation and ongoing support. Example: ONTRACC.
- Develops communication plans for the dissemination of education across assigned units or sites.
- Ensures adherence to inpatient nursing, neuroscience and accreditation standards
- Responsible for educating staff in each unit of responsibility via in-servicing, workshops, skills days, formal presentations and one-on-one sessions.
- Collaborates, designs or provides information on Neuro/Rehab to key stakeholders
- Assess gaps and needs in unit(s) and develops evidenced-based and policy informed education materials (presentations, guides, policies & procedures) to address and close gaps.
- Responsible for program nursing orientation program (3 days) for new nurses and unit level orientation for areas of responsibility
- Provides graduate nurses and graduate practical nurses with on-going support by tracking each graduate on their respective unit(s) and providing following up for one-on-one and group sessions, nurse mentorship and direct clinical support at the bed side (one-to-one or in a groups). Reports any concerns identified to the Nurse Manager.
- Supports and leads the Nurse Mentorship Structure for Neurosciences and Centralized Nursing Services (CNS) Medicine Pods
- Mentors, supports and evaluates individuals who may require a customized plan for clinical practice
- Supervises nurses in clinical practice and provides direct feedback on performance and safety, assists with the development of a workplan in conjunction with nurse manager. Must be able to be able to provide constructive feedback and be able to coach to achieve desired performance results.
- Works with patients and nurses in the clinical setting to collaborate and shape patient care goals
- Conducts research within Neurosciences which include patients & staff and will help inform our understanding of with the field. The intent is for internal dissemination of information and to prepare for journal publications.
- Develops and leads Quality Improvement (QI) projects for Neurosciences Program
- Follows-up on incident reports directly linked to safety and clinical practices. Identifies gaps and opportunities for improvement, designs and plan to address, implements and reports on progress and results.
- Able to perform statistical analysis and ability to synthesize and present data.
- Reviews KPIs and investigates associated patient cases to identify where breakdowns in care occurred and develops plans to address
- Required to apply critical inquiry to assess data, synthesize findings, suggest interventions and write appropriate scientific & technical reports for the Director and Nurse Managers.
- Required to be able to process theoretical information, promote systematic inquiry and translate knowledge to action in the clinical environment.
- Represents the Neurosciences Program on Saint John area committees relevant to quality and safe patient care such as, Med Rec committee, Falls Committee, Accreditation, writing groups for clinical standards.
- Remains current on respective practice changes for NANB, ANBLPN and CNA
- Required to stay current with trends and issues in Neurosciences, Rehabilitation and Family Medicine
- Must be able to work collaboratively with Interdisciplinary teams and with various learners (physician, nursing, pharmacy) within the units and acts as an expert resource.
- Cross training for and provides coverage to TIA, MS & Baclofen clinics.
- Leadership skills that demonstrate the ability to inspire commitment, respect, compassion, and fairness
- Self-awareness, honesty, integrity, optimism, confidence and resiliency
- Ability to foster shared vision, accept accountability and integrate evidence into decision making
- Can foster partnerships and work with internal and external partners
- Is self-starter, self-motivated and works effectively as a team member
- Decision making and can solve complex situations using sound judgement
- Coaching skills and abilities
Applications for this position must be submitted on-line by November 29, 2020.
NOTE: There will be no further postings for this position should there be no fully qualified applicants. If you wish to be considered for this position and have most of the qualifications as posted and the registration or licensure where required, you are encouraged to apply at this time.
Should testing be required to demonstrate language proficiency, the official results will be shared with the candidate, Human Resources and the requesting manager electronically and will be placed on the personnel file for Horizon hiring purposes.
Please quote Competition # 2020- 48334 -External . Horizon Health Network appreciates expressed interest, however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Human Resources Department, Horizon Health Network.