Saint John Pastoral Care Coordinator (N-B) PCN 1250971
Horizon Health Network in Saint John, NB
Horizon Health Network is an equal opportunity employer.
COMPETITION #: 2020-47432 External
BARGAINING UNIT: Non-Bargaining
ZONE: Saint John
DEPARTMENT: Spiritual Care
FACILITY: St. Joseph's Hospital
POSTING TYPE: Permanent Full Time
JOB TITLE: Pastoral Care Coordinator
CLASSIFICATION: Non Bargaining
LANGUAGE: English Essential
HOURS OF WORK: Day; Evening; Night; Rotating; Subject to change due to operational requirements
SALARY: $49,374 to $69,056 per year (Pay Band 4) (Based on 37.5 hours per week)
To effectively contribute to the ability of the institution to address the total health needs of patients by integrating attention to spiritual needs at all levels of care.
To assure that spiritual care is provided for patients by developing, implementing and co-ordinating a program of spiritual care that responds to the spiritual and religious needs of all patient and that enables other caregivers to effectively support spiritual well-being.
To facilitate and coordinate the work of denominational chaplains and/or community religious care providers and assure that patients, families or personnel have opportunity to participate in religious activities on a voluntary basis.
- Masters Degree in Theology, Spirituality or Related field
- Certified Spiritual Care Practitioner with the Canadian Association for Spiritual Care. (Applicants who are in working toward certification may be considered.)
- Knowledge of various theologies, religious and spiritual traditions and ecclesiologies and demonstrated ability to work in a multi faith environment.
- Demonstrated ability to assess psychosocial-spiritual needs and to develop a spiritual care plan.
- Some management training and skills necessary for team leadership
- Knowledge of health care ethics
- Commitment and motivation
- Ability to attend work on a regular basis.
- Ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Good work record.
- Written and spoken competence in English is required
- Provide spiritual care and counselling, based on clinical assessment, to patients and/or their families.
- Document spiritual assessments for patients to facilitate integration of spiritual care into the total care plan.
- Ensure that the spiritual needs of all patients, whatever their beliefs are addressed.
- Develop and implement procedures for the provision of spiritual services in line with approved policies.
- Support the work of denominational chaplains and community religious care providers, so that they may provide effective support for members of their faith community who have requested their care and when necessary facilitate interaction between community religious care providers and hospital staff.
- Work with Area Manager of Spiritual Care to coordinate a process that will ensure access to afterhours spiritual care, if requested, in crisis situations.
- Recommend policies concerning the spiritual dimension of total patient care to the Spiritual Care Committee and Hospital Administration.
- Act as a resource for consultation by hospital or medical staff on ethical/religious/spiritual issues.
- Works with Area Manager of Spiritual Care to ensure that policies and procedures developed by the Horizon Spiritual and Religious Care Clinical Practice Committee are implemented.
- Organizes and participates in continuing education program related to spiritual health for hospital staff and community religious care providers.
- Spiritual Care as part of the Hospital Mission: Saint Joseph's Hospital was founded by the Sisters of Charity of the Immaculate Conception. Although the hospital is now owned and operated by the Horizon Health Network, it continues the mission of the sisters with a commitment to caring for the whole person, body, mind and spirit. The Coordinator of Spiritual Care serves on Hospital committees and collaborates with multi-disciplinary health team. They work closely with the St. Joseph's Hospital Advisory Committee and the Director of Mission, Ethics and Spirituality.
Applications for this position must be submitted on-line by November 29, 2020.
NOTE: There will be no further postings for this position should there be no fully qualified applicants. If you wish to be considered for this position and have most of the qualifications as posted and the registration or licensure where required, you are encouraged to apply at this time.
Should testing be required to demonstrate language proficiency, the official results will be shared with the candidate, Human Resources and the requesting manager electronically and will be placed on the personnel file for Horizon hiring purposes.
Please quote Competition # 2020- 47432 -External . Horizon Health Network appreciates expressed interest, however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. Human Resources Department, Horizon Health Network.