Job # P901
Moncton is a vibrant and culturally rich community. It is the only officially bilingual city in Canada, as well as one of the best places in Canada to do business. Moncton is also known as the economic, sports, tourism and entertainment hub of Atlantic Canada. City of Moncton employees strive to maintain the city's reputation as one of the best places in Canada to live, study, work and play.
The City of Moncton is currently accepting applications for Building Inspector.
This position is responsible for examining, investigating, and researching building applications, documents and plans for developments, as well as inspecting new and existing buildings and structures to ensure conformity with the National Building Code of Canada, Building and Zoning By-Laws, Minimum Residential Standards and related by-laws and regulations. The Building Inspector will be responsible for the enforcement of municipal by-laws within the City of Moncton and the Town of Riverview, work with established policies, but will be expected to exercise independent judgment and initiative in resolving technical issues or complaints.
This position reports directly to the Senior Building Inspector.
Our ideal candidate will have the following:
- Be a Community College Graduate in a Civil or Building Engineering Technology Program and registered or eligible for registration in the New Brunswick Society of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists.
- Eligible for membership and enrolment for certification in the New Brunswick Building Officials Association (NBBOA). Incumbents must be willing to achieve level three (3) certification in a reasonable time-frame.
- Certified Engineering Technician/Technologist (CET) or Professional Technologists (PTech) designation or equivalent with a minimum of three (3) years' experience of a responsible nature in the design, construction and inspection of building construction, including interpreting drawings and specifications and ensuring compliance with same.
- English essential. The ability to communicate in the French language would be an asset, but not a requirement.
- Must possess the ability to respond to complaints and inquiries to enforce applicable City by-laws and policies while at the same time maintaining satisfactory working relationships amongst all parties involved.
- Must be knowledgeable and be compliant with the NB Occupational Health and Safety Act and its regulations.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of the National Building Code of Canada and of materials and methods used in building construction, ability to read building construction plans and specifications, and recognize deviations from such plans in the field construction process.
- Must be familiar with Provincial and Federal Regulations and Acts pertaining to development of properties.
- Must possess the ability to recognize faulty construction or hazardous conditions created by deterioration.
- Must become and continue to be acutely familiar with appropriate municipal by-laws as well as the supportive or enabling provincial legislation.
- Must be diplomatic and an effective communicator.
- Must have good writing skills to maintain accurate, complete and current records.
- Must possess strong organizational and time management skills, and be capable of working without direct supervision.
- Possesses competent knowledge and skills in the operation of the computer and software programs relevant to the position. For example, Excel, Word and e-mail. Knowledge of Computer Aided Design (CAD), Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and Global Positioning Systems would be an asset.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class 5 driver's license.
MISSION: Working together to grow our economy and enhance the quality of life for all citizens.
VISION: A city that inspires.
CORE ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOURS: Accountability, professionalism, respect, and excellence.
The City of Moncton is an equal opportunity employer.
The Applicant must submit their application through the online system that can be found at www.moncton.ca/employment or obtain an application from Human Resources at City Hall. For more information, please contact Human Resources at (506) 877-7707.
CLOSING DATE: NOON - OCTOBER 26, 2020
(The City of Moncton thanks all applicants for their interest; however,
only those invited for interviews will be contacted)