Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) - Pediatric Overnight Respite (CAS)
Position at VON Canada (Nova Scotia)
Employment Status: Casual
Program Name: Visiting Nursing
Work Schedule: Evening, Overnights, Includes Weekends
Union/Bargaining Unit: NSNU
On Call: No
Portability of Seniority As per NSNU Agreement
The Licensed Practical Nurse is responsible for the provision and management of client and family centered, evidence-based, efficient nursing care to individuals and families in their homes and community. The Licensed Practical Nurse ensures care is provided within the framework of quality & risk management and the standards and scope of practice set by VON and the relevant provincial regulatory body. The Licensed Practical Nurse is responsible for safe and appropriate teaching, assignment and delegation of tasks to different categories of workers.
Our Nurses work 1:1 with pediatric clients gaining valuable experience in the home care setting with children that have unique medical needs. You will be responsible for the total care during your shift including assessments, medications, treatments, therapies, g-tube feedings, tracheotomy care, respiratory treatments, and other assistance depending on the needs of the child.
- Casual overnight position -Hours of work: 11pm - 7am
- Client specific training provided
- To provide and manage high quality and effective nursing care to all individuals who are assigned to your care
- Responsible to teach and delegate tasks and functions to different levels of workers and to family members and others in accordance with the standards and scope of practice as determined by VON and the College of Registered Nurses of Nova Scotia
- Comply with all standards, policies, procedures and legislative requirements
- Participate as a member of the health care team in relevant committees and working groups
- Registration with NSCN and a graduate from an accredited school of nursing
- Demonstrated competencies in observation, independent assessment and health education
- Experience providing nursing care to children, adults and seniors an asset
- Can effectively use software for client documents & communication
- Experience conducting comprehensive nursing assessments
- Strong oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- A valid driver's license and access to a reliable vehicle is required
- Valid CPR C / First Aid required
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check.
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or a Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
- Must able to wear PPE
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: fast-paced environment; attention to detail; lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; bend, push, pull, reach, kneel, and crouch using good body mechanics; walk, sit, stand, and climb stairs; grip and repetitive fine hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its' discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates