Inventory for Interpreters
Service New Brunswick
Inventory for Interpreters
Service New Brunswick is seeking individuals to join the Translation Bureau as Junior, Intermediate or Independent Interpreters (French to English and English to French) in Fredericton.
Key responsibilities of this position are:
- Junior Interpreters deliver basic simultaneous and consecutive (court) interpretation services while learning the profession under the guidance and supervision of a senior interpreter. The focus of activity is acquiring experience.
- Intermediate Interpreters deliver simultaneous and consecutive (court) interpretation services of professional quality, concentrating on progressive refinement of skills required to become an independent interpreter. Support from an experienced interpreter is provided. The incumbent may work unaccompanied on occasion. The focus of activity is development.
- Independent Interpreters work independently and deliver quality simultaneous and consecutive interpretation services at the Legislative Assembly and conferences of a general or technical nature, as well as in court. They advise and supervise junior interpreters. The focus of activity is expertise in interpretation.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS: A university degree in interpretation, translation or a related field, in addition to the following requirements:
- Junior: Knowledge of the basic methods, tools and procedures used in the profession. The equivalent of one year of experience in interpretation is required.
- Intermediate: Two years of experience in interpretation and a broad knowledge of the techniques, tools and procedures used in the profession.
- Independent: Five years of experience in interpretation and a comprehensive knowledge of the techniques, tools and procedures used in the profession.
Subject to the response to this competition, an equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered, or the required years of experience may be increased
Written and spoken competence in English and French is required.
Applicants must clearly demonstrate the essential qualifications to be given further consideration. Please state your language capability on your application and ensure that preferred language for assessment is clearly identified.
ASSET QUALIFICATIONS: Preference may be given to candidates who demonstrate the following asset qualifications:
- A Master's in Conference Interpretation
- Accreditation in conference interpreting by the Federal Translation Bureau, AIIC, or a CTTIC member body
Subject to the response to this competition, candidates may be required to demonstrate on their application one or more of the asset qualifications in addition to the essential qualifications in order to be given further consideration.
OPERATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Frequent travel throughout the province is required, and you must possess a valid driver's license.
This position requires flexibility in working hours, which includes some work during evenings and weekends.
Candidates will be required to undergo Criminal History Clearance prior to appointment.
BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES: The successful candidate will possess the following behavioural competencies:
- Self-Control / Stamina
- Client Service Orientation
- Analytical Thinking / Judgment
- Commitment to Learning
- Teamwork and Cooperation
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES: The successful candidate will possess the following technical competencies:
- Ability to Use Office Technology, Software and Applications
- Planning and Organizing Skills
Resumes should be in chronological order specifying education and employment in months and years including part-time and full-time employment.
- Junior: $44,954- $62,842 annually - Pay Band 3 - Management and Non-Union Pay Plan
- Intermediate: $49,374 - $69,056 annually - Pay Band 4 - Management and Non-Union Pay Plan
- Independent: $56,524 - $78,962 annually - Pay Band 5 - Management and Non-Union Pay Plan
We encourage applicants to apply by email at HR-RH@snb.ca, or by mail at the following address indicating competition number R85-2018/19-361. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same level.
THIS COMPETITION WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL POSITIONS ARE FILLED.
Service New Brunswick
P.O. Box 1998
Fredericton, NB E3B 5G4
Telephone: (506) 444-3879
We thank all those who apply, however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Candidates registered with the Equal Employment Opportunity Program and veterans, who demonstrate they are among the most qualified, shall be given preference at the time of appointment.
We promote a scent-reduced environment.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The New Brunswick Public Service: Improving the lives of New Brunswickers every day!