Job # P833
Moncton is a vibrant and culturally rich community. It is the only officially bilingual city in Canada, as well as one of the best places in Canada to do business. Moncton is also known as the economic, sports, tourism and entertainment hub of Atlantic Canada. City of Moncton employees strive to maintain its reputation as one of the best places in Canada to live, study, work and play.
The City of Moncton is currently accepting applications for the position of GIS Technologist with the Information Systems Department.
The GIS Technologist reports directly to the GeoInformatics Team-Lead. He or she performs data collection, data maintenance and quality assurance, map production, spatial data integration, data analysis, data documentation/metadata, and GIS support. The individual will also be responsible for the maintenance and enhancement of municipal geospatial assets.
Minimum qualifications for the successful candidate:
- Successful completion of a technical course accredited by the New Brunswick Society of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (NBSCETT) at the Technologist level in a field related to municipal engineering, geomatics or geoinformatics. Must be eligible to become a NBSCETT member and maintain membership as a Professional Technologist (PTech or CET).
- A minimum of two to four (2-4) years of work experience related to GIS, information technology and/or geoinformatics.
- Ability to communicate (reading, writing and speaking) in English is essential. Ability to communicate in both official languages is an asset, but not a requirement
- Strong working knowledge of geographic information systems software (i.e. ESRI) including all related software and processes required for the assembly, analysis, storage, display, and dissemination of spatial information.
- Ability to use standard administrative programs (Microsoft Office).
- Valid Class 5 New Brunswick driver's license.
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills are essential for this position.
- Ability to work individually, with minimal supervision and as part of a team.
The following qualifications would be considered an asset:
- A university degree in geography, computer science, earth sciences or a related area.
- GIS programming and scripting experience.
- Experience with web mapping development.
- This role may require working with CAD and survey data. Training and/or experience with AutoCAD and survey technologies would be an asset.
- The individual must have the ability to keep up to date on GIS technology and other related systems used by the City of Moncton.
- Ability to prioritize is essential for completing work relating to data analysis, data collection and entry, mapping, interpretation of drawings, editing and maintenance of datasets and other duties as assigned.
- Attention to detail is significantly important for persons working in this position. Errors will cause inconvenience and could escalate to corporate embarrassment, delays in work schedules or bad decisions to be made.
MISSION: Working together to grow our economy and enhance the quality of life for all citizens.
VISION: A city that inspires.
CORE ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOURS: Accountability, professionalism, respect, and excellence.
The City of Moncton is an equal opportunity employer. The City offers an attractive benefits and salary package in keeping with the City Hall Employees Association/PSAC Local 60200 Collective Agreement.
The Applicant must submit their application through the online system that can be found at: www.moncton.ca/employment or obtain an application in Human Resources at City Hall.
To obtain more information, please contact Human Resources at 506-877-7707.
CLOSING DATE: NOON - APRIL 24, 2019
(The City of Moncton thanks all applicants for their interest; however, only those scheduled for interviews will be contacted)