Occupational Health Nurse
At Marine Atlantic, we do so much more than get people from point A to point B. Whether it's reunions, long-awaited trips home, or the start of a new adventure, we bring people together. We couldn't bring people together every day without our own dedicated employees. Our employees embody our core values; they are safety oriented team-players who exhibit integrity and commitment, and always strive for excellence. Their understanding and commitment to our values make our employees an invaluable part of our organization.
Marine Atlantic has an immediate opening for an Occupational Health Nurse to work in our Occupational Health & Wellness department located in North Sydney, NS, servicing both terminal and vessel employees.
The position of Occupational Health Nurse involves delivery of a professional service for the administration of Disability Case Management, Health and Wellness Programs, and providing a comprehensive Occupational Health Service to Marine Atlantic employees. The incumbent will focus on workplace health by carrying out workplace visits and promoting Early and Safe Return to Work for ill or injured employees. They will give advice on and influence management on any potential health risks, as well as be responsible for conducting risk assessments, drug and alcohol testing and vaccinations.
This Occupational Health position will liaise with Marine Atlantic internal and external resources to identify potential workplace hazards, follow up on any work related health issues, prepare monthly reports, maintain accurate statistics, and identify areas of improvement to the management team.
Additional Key Areas of Responsibility
- Promote a safe working environment
- Implementation and delivery of the strategic health plan for Health and Wellness Program, in coordination with the wellness committee.
- Deliver wellness sessions with all employees on a regular basis through education and/or health monitoring.
- Administration of all aspects of the disability management program and coordinate accommodation for early return to work for occupational and non-occupational cases.
- Assess medical and functional ability documentation for Return to Work, identify and develop modified/return to work plans for ill or injured employees.
- Support the case management process by reviewing policies, procedures, and processes regarding disability management, making recommendations and facilitating their implementation.
- Provide strategic case management of disability claims/cases including WCB/WHSCC, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, return to work, sickness absence, work accommodation processes/modified duties programs, and manage Lost Time Incidents.
- Develop monthly wellness information to communicate with employees
- Facilitate completion of pre-employment and periodic medical testing.
What qualifications do I need to be considered for this opportunity?
Education, Certification and Experience
Diploma or certification in Occupational Health & Safety and/or COHN (C) designation or equivalent
Diploma in Nursing, Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing or equivalent preferred with a minimum of five years' experience
A combination of equivalent education, job-related training and experience in a related position
- Minimum of three years of relevant work experience in a
- setting that promotes health and wellness and recovery planning.
- Preferable to have experience in an industry setting, in Disability
- Case Management and/or strategic Health and Wellness Promotion.
- Current registration with College of Registered Nurses NS or eligible for registration.
- Strong knowledge through experience of disability case management, treatment services and occupational health processes/activities
- Capability to plan own work and respect deadlines.
- Exceptional interpersonal, leadership, problem solving and teaching skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with a broad range of stakeholders
- General knowledge of OHS and MOHS Regulations and Occupational Health
- Strong interpersonal skills to work with individuals from every level of the organization.
- Highly organized with strong communication skills.
- Self-motivated with good organizational and time management skills.
Why work for the Marine Atlantic team?
As part of the Marine Atlantic team, you will participate in a variety of ongoing training programs and development opportunities to navigate your career and chart your course for success. We provide a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to creating an environment which promotes employee growth, career development, and job satisfaction. Some benefits of working with Marine Atlantic include competitive salaries, defined benefit pension plan, comprehensive health benefit packages, and professional development opportunities. Come experience the pride of working with an organization with newly constructed and revitalized infrastructure that has positioned itself for the future.
How do I become a part of the team?
If you meet the listed qualifications, are interested in this opportunity and exemplify our core values, please apply online before 4 pm (Atlantic Time) on 21 March 2019.
All applicants must apply online:
For your application to be considered, all sections and questions must be completed.
Marine Atlantic is a Federal Crown Corporation that provides a vital ferry service link between Newfoundland and Labrador and mainland Canada.
At Marine Atlantic, we are dedicated to building and fostering an inclusive and diverse environment, where all employees and customers feel welcomed, valued, and respected.
Marine Atlantic invites applications from all qualified candidates and hires on the basis of merit. We are committed to the principles of equitable employment for all and strongly encourage applications from Women, Indigenous People, Persons with Disabilities, Visible Minorities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression. If you are a member of one of these groups, we invite you to self-identify on your application, cover letter or resume.
To receive this job poster in an alternative format or to discuss alternate ways of completing the online application, please contact the Marine Atlantic Human Resources Department (email@example.com).