GRANT - PAID JOB OPPORTUNITY
POSTING NUMBER: GPD-16042
POSTING DATE: October 25th, 2016
CLOSING DATE: November 16th, 2016
Program Director, Dalhousie Ocean School
Ocean School Project, Department of Biology
Ocean School (www.oceanschoolproject.ca) is a groundbreaking science-education program developed by Dalhousie University and the National Film Board of Canada (NFB) to connect Canadians to the ocean, spark innovation, and interest youth in science. The program is primarily geared towards 11-15 year old students across Canada, and will expand in scope to a global audience through an interactive website, smartphone app, and public installations. This year Ocean School is developing a pilot to be tested with Grade 7 students in Nova Scotia and will then be entering full production in spring 2017.
This full-time contract position will be based at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia. The Dalhousie Ocean School Program Director will oversee the planning and implementation of the Ocean School project through the pilot as well as full project development, production, and all future phases. The Program Director will be the lead representative of Dalhousie’s interests within the project’s development; leading strategic planning and providing oversight on all activities on the Dalhousie side of the project. The Program Director will report to Dal Lead Scientist Dr. Boris Worm, and work in close collaboration with a project lead from the NFB.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Project & Resource Management
- Develop a detailed project plan to monitor and track progress for each major phase of the project including project scope, project schedule, and project costs.
- Successfully manage the relationship with all stakeholders including project team members, partner organizations, potential funders, governmental partners, and internal team members.
- Define staffing needs and recruit, interview and select staff and/or volunteers with appropriate skills for the Dalhousie project activities at each major phase of the project.
- Fundraising, Accounting, & Finances
- Networking and fundraising with future potential partners.
- Prepare financial reports and supporting documentation for funders as outlined in funding agreements.
- Identify and implement project budget tracking in collaboration with NFB.
- Manage Dalhousie project budget, keep up-to-date record of all expenses and finances.
- Minimum 3 years of leadership experience in program planning and/or management
- Degree in Communications, Business, Management, Marine Biology, Education, or similar
- PMP certificate or equivalent considered an asset
- Excellent relationship management skills with external and internal stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google Applications, Skype and experience with digital project management tools (such as, Smartsheet and Slack)
Status: Full time
Pay Scale: $28 – $33/hour
Term: December 1, 2016 – October 30, 2018 with possibility of extension
Please forward a cover letter, current CV and contact information of 2-3 references to:
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. We thank all applicants, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. The university encourages applications from Aboriginal people, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community. For more information, please visit www.dal.ca/respect.