Position: Assistant Director, Client Services (APC)
Department: Information Technology Systems & Support (ITSS)
Salary: $78,740 - $101,478 (Group 8)
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary’s University is one of Canada’s oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary’s University is home to one of Canada’s leading business schools, a science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
As a result of a recent review and restructuring of the ITSS Department, the addition of new positions of Assistant Director have been created. These positions are excellent opportunities for the right people to help the continuing evolution of ITSS to a more strategically driven, high performing IT services for Saint Mary’s.
Under the general direction of the Senior Director, ITSS, the Assistant Director, Client Services leads client-facing teams to address the IT service needs of the University. The Assistant Director ensures the planning and implementation of IT system analysis and design, application support and development (e.g. ERP), data governance and information reporting, user support, and web services including web enhancement. The Assistant Director is a liaison for clients respecting business processes streamlining.
Duties as the Assistant Direct, Client Services include, but are not limited to:
- Managing 2 managers and indirectly 20 full time equivalents, plus contract staff, and part time student staff.
- Establishing and monitoring performance objectives; providing ongoing learning development; promoting teamwork; and ensuring staff have the sufficient tools and resources to meet business objectives efficiently and effectively.
- Resolving employee concerns either directly or through established grievance/complaint procedures.
- Initiating disciplinary action and recommending/justifying discharge where warranted.
- Demonstrating fiscal responsibility and developing financial strategies according to the business and capital plans of the University.
- Engaging clients to ensure an understanding of IT business needs, priorities and processes along with cataloging priorities and deploying resources as required including those needed for ERP support.
- Ensuring the analysis of client system and software needs and subsequent design and development of appropriate software packages.
- Ensuring security and risk mitigation are factored into planning/deployment of technology, software, and operations.
- Determining the replacement schedule for IT services, tools and equipment.
- Identifying the growing need to manage information and data assets and confirming appropriate business tools and resources to support these priorities including data governance and information reporting capabilities.
- Championing business solutions.
- Establishing/maintaining service delivery tools and methods that endorse relationship building and facilitating cooperation and collaboration.
- Ensuring design and implementation of IT service delivery standards to provide greater efficiencies and establishing related measurement tools and communication channels to ensure continuous quality improvement.
- Ensuring Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) compliance in the delivery of IT services.
- Administering contracts and agreements and monitoring service performance.
- Liaising with institutional partners to resolve concerns and service delivery issues.
- Initiating and sustaining constructive relationships through consultation with both internal and external clients.
- Keeping current in emerging technologies to ensure the department is well-positioned to deliver its programs/services.
- Leading management of information assets throughout the University.
- Introducing risk management protocols and system components.
- Ensuring system designs will adapt to emerging labour market changes.
- Assisting stakeholders in leveraging technology to enable business process improvements.
- Preparing an annual divisional business plan that aligns with organizational and University goals.
- Translating institutional requirements into appropriate IT plans, strategies and solutions.
- Providing a full array of information services and support and ensuring processes and guidelines are developed, maintained and enhanced to increase levels of client service and incorporate methods to sustain these levels.
- Attending and presenting at conferences and actively participating in industry organizations.
To be the successful Assistant Director, Client Services you will possess a University degree in Computer Science, or a related discipline, a minimum of five (5) years of directly related experience with progressive leadership experience and experience managing in a unionized environment. You will further demonstrate above average interpersonal skills; excellent oral and written communication skills; and a strong attention to detail and organization. Customer Service & Leadership/ITIL/COBIT Certification will be considered an asset.
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
The search committee will begin to consider applications on July 21, 2017 and continue until the position is filled.
Saint Mary’s University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary’s University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary’s University promotes a scent free environment and is proud to be tobacco-free as of September 1, 2013