Position at VON Canada (Ontario)
Employment Status: Permanent, Part-Time (0.4 FTE)
Program Name: Exercise and Falls Prevention
Work Schedule: Days
The Fitness Instructor is responsible for leading fitness classes to senior clients under the direction of the Program Coordinator and/or Registered Kinesiologist associated with the program and in line with the certification standards.
- Leads fitness classes.
- Works toward fulfillment of client goals as outlined on assessment.
- Participates in on-going review of service delivery process and evaluation.
- Attends educational in-services that are deemed appropriate by Supervisor.
- May provide fall prevention education as directed by Coordinator
- Reports any situations that are deemed inappropriate to their Supervisor
- Ensures all incidents are reported in a timely manner in accordance with legislation and VON policies and procedures.
- Reports any defect in any equipment which may endanger themselves or others.
- Functions and reports in compliance with the OHS legislation, regulations, and VON policies and procedures
External and Internal Relationships:
- Frequent interaction with Supervisor and clients.
Education, Designations and Experience:
- High school graduate.
- Certification as a Seniors Fitness Instructor and/or equivalent is an asset
- Experience teaching group fitness classes for older adults including experience teaching specialized classes for chronic conditions i.e. Osteoporosis, Parkinson Disease, Diabetes, Osteoarthritis etc. is an asset.
- Experience promoting health and well-being through physical activity.
- Experience working in an assisted living environment i.e. recreation therapy is an asset.
- Bilingual in French/English is an asset.
- Respect for privacy and confidentiality.
- Dependability and trustworthiness.
- Good communication and active listening skills.
- Capacity to remain calm in unexpected situations.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
- Must have access to a personal vehicle for business use and possess both a current driver's license and proof of vehicle Insurance.
- Current criminal background check including a vulnerable sector screen is required.
- The use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be required
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
In accordance with the Employer's policy, Mandatory Vaccination: COVID-19, it is required that all VON Canada Nova Scotia Branch, VON Canada Ontario Branch and VON Canada (National) employees, contractors, volunteers and students be fully vaccinated (subject only to legitimate established exemptions of a medical nature or where there is a valid human rights exception).
To facilitate this policy, all VON Canada employees, students, contractors and volunteers will be required to provide written attestation confirming that they are fully vaccinated and reasonable proof of vaccination status, inclusive of any government-issued documentation.