Faculty – Tourism Hospitality
Sydney , Nova Scotia
School of Business
Term, Full Time Position: Commencing approximately August 13, 2018 and ending approximately April 26, 2019
Application deadline is midnight, April 30, 2018
Competition No. 2018-080
The salary scale for NSCC Faculty is based on twelve steps that range from $57,509.73 - $85,105.56. New NSCC Faculty may receive up to a maximum of five steps for relevant occupational experience. New NSCC Faculty may receive up to an additional four steps for full-time equivalent years of instructional experience (instructional experience is defined as teaching high school Grade 10 and above). The maximum a new NSCC Faculty can expect to receive is nine steps or $77,931.68.
What you will be doing…
As a member of the School of Business faculty team, you will provide theoretical and practical instruction in the Tourism Hospitality program. You will collaboratively design and deliver educational experiences for a diverse group of learners. This will include preparation, instruction, assessment, and evaluation of students using a broad range of flexible teaching and learning practices and technologies such as Learning Management Systems (e.g. Desire2Learn) and classroom technology. Related duties include but are not limited to academic and career advisement, participating on committees, program marketing, curriculum revision/development through collaborative practice within faculty working groups, supporting and monitoring work placements, liaising with business and industry, representing the College as required and upholding NSCC policies and procedures. You will also ensure health and safety practices and procedures are followed in your classroom, shops and labs. As a Faculty of NSCC, you will be expected to maintain currency with the latest Tourism Hospitality practices relevant to your program and to continually develop your understanding of 21st century teaching and learning practices. This position may involve different delivery modalities (e.g. in-class, online, blended online/in-class), off-site instruction and alternate work hours such as weekends and evenings.
What we are looking for…
You are a collaborative, team player who takes personal accountability to deliver on what is expected in your role and you strive for excellence every day. You understand your position as a role model to each of your students and as such, you demonstrate the utmost professionalism, integrity and respect for all persons in everything you do. You are committed to life-long learning, occupational currency specific to Tourism Hospitality and a belief in NSCC’s mission. You bring a learning-centered perspective to everything you do. You think broadly, celebrate diversity of thought, and respect the uniqueness of individuals. You flourish in a dynamic, changing and sometimes ambiguous environment by keeping informed and connected within your role and the College. Is this you?
Qualifications and Occupational Experience:
- The minimum educational qualification for this position is a related Business/Tourism college diploma or university degree from a recognized educational institution.
- You have a minimum of five years of recent and related occupational experience and knowledge enabling you to provide learning experiences that mirror current practices in Tourism Hospitality.
- Current experience and networks in Tourism and Hospitality are essential to this position.
- Occupational experiences that include accommodations, adventure tourism, regional and international tourism, customer service, food and beverage operations, travel and tourism trends, tourism services will be considered an asset.
- You are familiar with and comfortable using computer applications such as the Microsoft Office Suite, E-mail, and Social Media Platforms.
- You possess basic internet skills to search for information coupled with internet information skills to evaluate the information you find. Above all, you are comfortable working in a digital environment; you take responsibility for acquiring knowledge about advancing technology; and you are committed to using technology in support of an exceptional student experience.
- You have demonstrated experience liaising with business and industry in Tourism Hospitality.
- Ideally, you have related experience in delivery of educational programs or training to adults.
- You have knowledge and experience in applying WHMIS, Occupational Health and Safety and occupation-specific safety practices.
Relevant Skills and Knowledge
- You demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusion
- You possess excellent presentation skills and are able to facilitate content effectively and engagingly to a variety of audiences
- You are known for your superior interpersonal skills and are able to effectively manage interpersonal relationships and issues
- Your superb team building skills will enable you to develop a positive classroom dynamic and productive collegial relationships
- Your commitment to excellence, to life-long learning and to community involvement make you an ideal candidate for Faculty at NSCC
What you will experience at NSCC…
You will change lives. You will join committed individuals as we work to build Nova Scotia’s economy and improve quality of life through education and innovation. As an NSCC employee, you will be part of that change.
You will find a place to grow personally and professionally with opportunities for professional development and collaborative projects.
You will do meaningful and challenging work in a publically accountable and respectful working and learning environment that is diverse, safe and inclusive. You will have the freedom to enable innovation, improvement and excellence.
You will celebrate the uniqueness of individuals. Our college welcomes diversity in both its student body and its employees, and we take every opportunity to become more inclusive. We encourage applications from qualified candidates from all diverse communities including but not limited to Indigenous Persons, racially visible persons, people with disabilities and women in non-traditional roles. Applicants from these communities wishing to self-identify may do so by completing an online questionnaire with your application.
As a condition of employment, Faculty at NSCC must complete a two-year (part-time) adult education program delivered by NSCC. This adult education program is a significant investment on the part of NSCC in the learning and development of new employees. To achieve regular status; all probationary, full or part-time Faculty of the College must successfully complete the program within their probationary period. Term full-time Faculty who are employed for twelve or more months are also required to participate in this program.
NSCC offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package. As a learning-centred organization, we provide opportunities for every NSCC employee to be a life-long learner.
Candidates selected for interviews will be expected to provide at least three recent, occupational references. The successful candidate will be expected to provide official transcripts to show proof of academic achievements.
To apply for College jobs, simply click on the Apply Now Online button. To serve you better, NSCC has a user-friendly on-line application process in partnership with Career Beacon. First time users will complete a basic registration and receive a username and password via email (NOTE: email may appear in "Junk Mail" folder depending upon your mail management configuration). You will then have the option of uploading your existing resume(s) and cover letter(s) in seconds or creating them on-the-spot in the "editor". For more information about working at the College, please visit us at http://www.nscc.ca/about_nscc/jobs_at_nscc/
Unfortunately, we cannot accept late or paper applications.