Halifax, NS | Operations | Management | Full-time
Position: Manager, Athletics & Recreation (APC)
Department: Athletics & Recreation
Annual Salary: $69,558 - $89,642 (Group 7)
Under the direction of the Director, Athletics and Recreation, the Manager, Athletics & Recreation provides management, administration and coordination for athletic facility operations and programming including oversight for all aspects of the day-to-day operational requirements of the Homburg Centre and its related facilities and day to day financial administration. The Manager, Athletics & Recreation assists in complying with policies in all areas inherent to the scope of Athletic and Recreation business; assists in the development and implementation of both annual and strategic plans for programs, facilities and resources to offer quality service to clients/participants at all levels; and is the main contact in the absence of the Director and takes action within limits defined by standards or accepted practice.
Duties as the Manager, Athletics & Recreation include, but are not limited to:
- Supervising seven (7) full time staff and part time student employees, including administrative staff and support staff, which includes training; assigning tasks and/or delegating responsibility; monitoring performance and providing day-to-day and periodic formal performance feedback; resolving employee concerns either directly or through established grievance/complaint procedures; and initiating disciplinary action when necessary and recommending/justifying discharge where warranted.
- Ensuring Financial Services and Administrative policies and procedures are followed throughout the Department.
- Preparing and/or verifying various accounting reports and statements for Athletics and Recreation.
- Reviewing budget reports on a monthly basis with the Director, Athletics and Recreation.
- Reviewing annual facility rental rates and SMUFit rates and making recommendations to the Director.
- Coordinating Athletics Emergency Management Plan.
- Coordinating the daily operations schedule for the Homburg Centre, field and related facilities, including daily maintenance, inspection and repair of facilities and equipment.
- Coordinating set ups and teardown for varsity events.
- Preparing work orders for minor repairs and maintenance and submits to Facilities Management.
- Working collaboratively with internal and external sources in oversight of USport and AUS rules.
- Assisting the Director, Athletics and Recreation with Athletic Financial Awards (AFAs).
- Assisting the Director, Athletic and Recreation with details pertaining to the administration of all sport programming.
- Assisting in the development and implementation of annual and strategic plans for programs, facilities and resources to offer quality service to clients/participants at all levels: students, varsity athletics, faculty/staff and the community.
- Overseeing programming carried out in the Homburg Centre and related facilities and ensuring programming is focused on the needs of students, varsity athletics, faculty/staff and the community.
- Working within the university framework to manage risk regarding safety, health and well-being of all students, staff and SMU visitors.
To be the successful Manager, Athletics & Recreation you will possess an undergraduate degree preferably in Athletic Administration or Commerce and have a minimum of three (3) years’ experience in related field. You will further demonstrate an understanding of AUS and USport policies; have experience supervising in a unionized environment; and a strong working knowledge of financial statements/accounting practices with excellent budgetary and entrepreneurial experience, preferably within an athletics & recreation environment. Proficiency with Microsoft Office software package and strong written and oral communication skills will round out your qualifications. Schedule flexibility is a necessity in this position along with Advanced First Aid/CPR (or willingness to obtain).
- Facilities Operations
- Operating Budgets
- Sports Management
- LinkedIn Sales Navigator
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
The search committee will begin to consider applications on April 23, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
Saint Mary’s University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary’s University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary’s University promotes a scent free environment and is proud to be tobacco-free as of September 1, 2013.