Halifax, NS | Administrative and Clerical | Experienced | Full-time
Position: Administrative Assistant, Human Resources (APC)
Department: Human Resources
Salary: $47,807 - $61,609 (Group 4)
Under the supervision of the Senior Director, Human Resources, the Administrative Assistant, Human Resources (HR) provides first-line customer service to faculty, staff and visitors. The Administrative Assistant, HR provides departmental, program, administrative, clerical and systems support in the following areas: recruitment and selection, labor and employee relations, payroll, pension and benefits, conflict resolution, occupational health and safety, diversity and inclusion and health and wellness. Maintains strict confidentiality. Works collaboratively with other HR employees to ensure the timely, accurate and effective delivery of HR services.
Duties as the Administrative Assistant, Human Resources include, but are not limited to:
- Acting as first resource for employees and visitors, which includes screening inquires and referring inquiries to Senior Director, Human Resources or other HR designate/department when appropriate.
- Providing reception and customer service including responding to, or directing employee inquiries regarding HR policies, procedures, recruitment & selection, labor and employee relations, collective agreements, payroll, pension and benefits, conflict resolution, occupational health and safety, diversity and inclusion and health and wellness.
- Composing and proofreading various documents including leave of absence letters, sessional letters, verification of employment letters, resignation receipts, union/labour relations correspondence, and other requested materials.
- Maintaining the multifunction machine and assisting others with software technical questions, resetting Banner pin numbers, and logging work orders as needed.
- Maintaining the Senior Director’s calendar including prepping documents for meetings and managing RSVP’s, etc.
- Liaising with appropriate department managers regarding union leave and invoicing the appropriate union(s).
- Preparing bi-weekly payroll forms for processing and completing forms for signature.
- Maintaining and updating the departmental website inclusive of HR forms, Holiday Schedule, SMUPhone and bulletin boards and liaising with other Human Resource staff members to ensure content is current.
- Delivering and collecting departmental mail inclusive of sorting, date stamping, composing routine responses when required, and distributing other office correspondence on request.
- Alerting the Senior Director, Human Resources to issues of potential importance and urgency.
- Organizing and maintaining employee files, filing system and records retention including maintaining distribution lists, coordinating mail outs, ordering departmental office supplies and performing other duties of a secretarial nature.
- Performing reconciliations for department VISA purchasing cards statement including review of appropriate account lines and in accordance with office procedures ensuring all departmental invoices are paid and allocated to the accurate budget line and preparing cheque requisitions when required.
- Assisting the Senior Director, Human Resources with development and organization of the Human Resources budget by maintaining budget records, reconciling and verifying vouchers/receipts and completing budget transfers.
- Monitoring the HR Departmental budget and providing variance reporting and completing budget reforecasting.
- In accordance with procedures, providing support in the administration of WCB claims and following up as required.
- Entering OH & S incidents and WCB claims in Banner and providing reports to the HR Officer (OH&S and Wellness).
- Assisting with Wellness Wednesday events by creating posters, sending invites, and creating sign in sheets.
- Checking and confirming eligibility for Tuition Discount.
- Upon approval, arranging temporary employment services through temp-agencies for requesting departments and approving incoming invoices within a weekly deadline.
- Providing support to the Senior Director HR and department in the area of labour relations as needed.
- Assisting in the organization and coordination of departmental activities and events including the booking of rooms, distribution of invitations/material, developing promotional materials catering arrangements, donations in memory, purchasing retirement gifts, and other related activities and events as required.
- Scheduling & coordinating monthly HR meetings inclusive of maintaining/updating agendas, HR goals and metrics.
- Coordinating the development/maintenance of reports and the creation of ad hoc reports to ensure compliance with departmental needs or collective agreement requirements and communicating report needs with the report writers.
To be the successful Administrative Assistant, Human Resources you will possess a two (2) year community college diploma in business or equivalent with an emphasis on human resources/payroll related functions being considered an asset. In addition, you will possess three (3) years of directly related experience in customer service; tracking and balancing budgets; MS Office, Publisher, Access, internet and e-mail applications; ERP, with HRIS and Banner experience considered an asset; website maintenance; and report writing within an HRIS. You demonstrate the ability to exercise judgement; excellent attention to detail and accuracy; the ability to handle and maintain confidential material; and experience working in a high volume, diverse environment with repetitive tasks and competing priorities. Strong organizational skills and ability to function independently and as part of team; cross-cultural working experience; experience in a unionized environment interpreting and applying collective agreements and demonstrated understanding of the payroll process, including the ability to understand the impact of various deadlines will round out your success in this position.
- Human Resources
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by using the online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
The search committee will begin to consider applications on April 20, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
Saint Mary’s University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary’s University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary’s University promotes a scent free environment and is proud to be tobacco-free as of September 1, 2013.