Position: Administrative Assistant, Office of the President/Governance (APC)
Department: Office of the President/Governance
Annual Salary: $47,807 - $61,609 (Group 4)
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary’s University is one of Canada’s oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary’s University is home to one of Canada’s leading business schools, a science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research. Saint Mary’s University is dedicated to providing education that embraces community-engagement, discovery and entrepreneurship.
Under the supervision of the Executive Assistant, the Administrative Assistant, provides secretarial and administration services to the Office of the President including the maintenance of documents of a highly confidential nature; assisting the Executive Assistant in ensuring the smooth functioning of the office; and working collaboratively with other staff and faculty to ensure the timely, accurate and effective delivery of services.
The Administrative Assistant also supports the University Secretary in all activities of the Board of Governors to serve strategic direction of the University and effective governance of the Board and to ensure the efficient and effective flow of confidential information and business and strategic decision making. This position also provides administrative support to the Board of Governors and the standing and ad hoc committees.
Duties as the Administrative Assistant include, but are not limited to:
Under the supervision of the Executive Assistant and in support of the University Secretary for the Board of Governors and Committee Support:
- Providing confidential administrative support in the development of meeting schedules, macro agendas and other tools to ensure the short and long-term responsibilities of the Board and Committees are met and the business proceeds in a timely and orderly manner, in accordance with Board and University statute, bylaws, protocols and practices.
- Providing confidential administrative support in the development and dissemination of agendas and documentation to ensure confidential and timely distribution of information to the Board and Board Standing and Ad Hoc Committees.
- Providing confidential administrative support through the accurate recording and drafting of official minutes, under the direction of the University Secretary, for the Board, Board Chair, Vice-Chair, Committee Chairs and the Committees, and supporting appropriate tracking and follow-up for emergent business. This includes providing administrative support for corporate records, including official minutes, by-laws, procedural guidelines and other documents and records of the Board.
- Providing administrative support in the appointment of members to the Board and coordinating the appointment of members to Board committees and other internal and external committees and boards.
- Providing administrative support for orientation sessions with supporting materials for new Board members.
- Liaising with internal offices that resource the committees of the Board to ensure support is coordinated under the direction of the University Secretary and in accordance with approved policy, by-laws, regulations and procedures.
- Responsible for all Board related event management including the participation of the Board, the Committees, Governors individually, and the University Secretary for internal and external events and is responsible for coordinating attendance to both internal and external events where they are representing the Board, or, as requested, by the University. Events will be both formal and informal in nature and will require consideration and coordination of budget, space, type of meeting, accessibility needs of Governors, catering and technical or audio-video needs.
- Coordinating of Board and Committee members’ schedules, in consultation with Governors’ external administrative support, preparation and circulation of agendas and minutes, arrangement for timing, location and catering service for meetings, acting as Recording Secretary.
- Administering webpage, keeping current and maintaining all materials posted to the webpage for the Board of Governors, including facilitating regular updates of Board biographies and photos, committee structure, terms of reference, committee appointments, and by-law updates.
- Arranging travel, accommodations and registrations and facilitating reimbursement of travel costs and expenses of Governors in accordance with University policy.
Under the supervision of the Executive Assistant in support of the President’s Office:
- Typing requisitions, forms, schedules, appointments, agendas, minutes, reports.
- Preparing invoices for the Executive Assistant and/or University Secretary approval.
- Responsible for mail/correspondence and filing correspondence including processing dead storage filing.
- Maintaining Honorary Degree files and binders.
- Monitoring office supplies to ensure adequate inventory, including general kitchen supplies.
- Maintaining the website for the Office of the President to ensure information is current.
- Acting as the primary contact for the Office of the President for external calls, including incoming calls to the President, along with greeting visitors including listening to and responding to enquiries and requests and receiving and directing complaints from the University community.
- Ordering catering for meetings including ensuring facilities are available; coordinating menus and bar service; ensuring Food Requisitions are distributed; preparing invitations and RSVP lists; responding to RSVP calls; and following up with food Services to ensure requirements are met.
- Coordinating the Honorary Degree Committee by setting up meetings and overseeing arrangements; informing committee members of meetings; distributing meeting materials; and taking minutes. Also includes liaising with the library to gather information on potential Honorary Degree candidates and informing the Executive Assistant of candidates for upcoming convocations’ by submitting contact information on candidates to Executive Assistant.
To be the successful Administrative Assistant you will possess a two (2) year community college diploma in secretarial sciences and three (3) years’ of directly related experience. You will demonstrate the ability to handle and maintain confidential information, professional judgement and discretion, and strong interpersonal skills combined with excellent communications skills both oral and written. Your experience organizing and coordinating meetings and events; knowledge of business writing and professional best practices; and the ability to take and transcribe minutes will further your success in this position. Shorthand will be considered an asset. You are able to work in a fast-paced team oriented environment while maintaining exceptional organizational skills and utilizing your above average skills in Microsoft office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access). University experience and/or extensive experience in an academic setting and Banner experience will further be considered assets.
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
The search committee will begin to consider applications on April 16, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
Saint Mary’s University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary’s University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary’s University promotes a scent free environment and is proud to be tobacco-free as of September 1, 2013