Anglican Church of New Brunswick
(Diocese of Fredericton)
Fredericton, New Brunswick
The Diocese of Fredericton, an Anglican faith based organization, is seeking an individual to bring a depth of expertise and professionalism to lead and manage its financial operations. The Treasurer will function as the Chief Financial Officer of the organization with primary responsibilities for providing all financial functions including: financial accounting and reporting, annual budgeting; support of budgeting and cash flow management for Camp Medley, a Diocesan summer youth camp.
The Treasurer works closely with other Diocesan staff, and will build close working relationships with parish clergy, lay leaders and volunteers from across the province, to provide support and counsel on financial and stewardship matters. The incumbent is a key member of the Finance Committee, providing support to the Chair, and participating in the preparation of materials for discussion.
This position is an integral member of the Diocese leadership team and is responsible for directing and implementing all accounting processes, financial analysis and monthly financial forecasts for the Bishop, Synod, Council, financial partners and donors. The Treasurer will play a key role in helping to shape the strategic direction for the organization, and support the Synod’s Council and management to realize its strategic vision by providing sound management of its finances and operations.
The Treasurer will direct the work of one staff member: the Financial and Administrative Assistant in the performance of their duties.
The successful candidate, who will report directly to the Bishop, will be responsible for all aspects of the financial functions, including strategic planning, financial management, and financial reporting. Examples of specific duties include (but are not limited to):
- Provide financial expertise, advice and leadership in financial accounting and reporting, budgeting, cash flow management and forecasting and expenditure analysis
- Prepare the annual operating budgets with input from various sources under the advice and direction of the Diocesan Council and its Finance Committee
- Provide day to day oversight of accounts payable, ensuring Synod accounts are up to date and all appropriate authorizations and financial controls are implemented
- Develop and document processes related to the collection, accounting and reporting of accounts receivable from parishes and others to ensure steady reliable cash flow management
- Prepare financial statements to facilitate internal decision-making
- Prepare the annual Registered Charities Information Return and other statutory reports as required
- Other duties as required to help facilitate and ensure efficient operations within the Diocese and parishes.
It should also be highlighted that the successful candidate will also be required to sit as a member of the Diocesan Council and its Finance Committee, providing support, guidance and expertise as required.
Skills and experience required for this position include:
- Current professional accounting designation (CPA)
- Minimum five years’ experience working in a financial management position, demonstrating progressive leadership experience
- Well-developed negotiation skills, with the aptitude to influence others;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies
- Knowledge and experience in compensation and benefits
- General knowledge of registered charity administrative requirements
The position is hands-on, which will be of interest to an individual who has strong financial management skills and experience, experienced in fund accounting, preferably in a charitable organization, possesses well-defined organizational skills, and the ability to focus on strategic planning as well as day-to-day financial operations. If you are interested in getting involved in a stable Christian organization and are prepared to contribute to their success, then this opportunity is for you.
Qualified applicants are asked to submit their résumé along with a covering letter to Grant Thornton LLP via email at FinanceRole@ca.gt.com, citing “Anglican Church of New Brunswick – Diocesan Treasurer” in the subject line, no later than March 23rd at 5:00pm AST.
We appreciate all expressed interest in this position; however, only the candidates selected for interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
We encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities and women. Members of designated groups are encouraged to self-identify. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents will be given priority.