Organizational Unit: Industrial Research Assistance Program
Language Requirements: English
The NRC Advantage
GREAT MINDS. ONE GOAL. CANADA'S SUCCESS.
The National Research Council of Canada represents a powerful partnering option for anyone looking to push the boundaries of science and industry. In fact, as the Government of Canada's premier research organization supporting industrial innovation, the advancement of knowledge and technology development, we have become catalysts for innovation. For over a hundred years, the impact of our work with industry leaders and other government bodies has shaped Canada’s future. We partner with some of the most creative and solutions-driven minds in the world.
And now, we want to partner with you. Be part of our collective force to come up with potentially disruptive solutions to Canada’s current and future technology challenges. Let your expertise and inspirations make an impact by joining the NRC.
Help bring research to life and drive your career forward with the National Research Council of Canada (NRC), Canada's premiere research and technology organization.
Regarded worldwide as one of the best programs of its kind, IRAP is Canada’s premier innovation assistance program for small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs).
We are looking for a seasoned industry professional absolutely enthusiastic about helping innovative Canadian companies grow and prosper. We need people who see the potential in a business and are driven to nurture it to the next level. We are increasing our staff across the country and our clients need energetic and engaged professionals to guide them and invest in them as they grow. We are focused on results, but we aren’t afraid of risk. We are frank, but with a gentle helping hand.
Are you ready to be part of Canada’s tomorrow?
Applicants must demonstrate within the content of their application that they meet the following screening criteria in order to be given further consideration as candidates:
Candidates must have a Bachelor's degree in Science or Engineering in a discipline related to the position from a recognized university.
Preference will be given to candidates with a university degree in a discipline related to the position (i.e. Electrical Engineering / Computer Engineering / Computer Science / Physics).
Preference may be given to candidates with a complementary degree or diploma in business, management, administration, finance or marketing.
For information on certificates and diplomas issued abroad, please see Degree equivalency
- Recent and extensive industrial business experience as an entrepreneur or senior manager — preferably in SMEs — in at least three of the following: electrical engineering, general physics, computer hardware design, networks, telecommunications, embedded systems design (hardware and software), IoT/IIoT, robotics, microelectronics, power electronics, autonomous systems.
- Recent and extensive private sector experience in developing and commercializing innovative products or services, with demonstrable outcomes.
- Experience in international business development and/or intellectual property management will be considered an asset.
Condition of Employment
Must be able to travel.
A valid driver's licence and access to the use of a vehicle are required.
Candidates will be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:
- Basic knowledge of NRC-IRAP's mandate, mission and business model.
- Solid knowledge of SME business management, marketing of technology and productivity increase.
- Solid knowledge of developing, adopting and adapting technologies.
- Solid knowledge of project management.
- Advanced knowledge of technology, innovation and commercialization issues and trends within the sector and of the region related to the position.
- Management services - Communication (Level 3)
- Management services - Initiative (Level 2)
- Management services - Networking (Level 2)
- Technology extension - Client focus (Level 3)
- Technology extension - Conceptual and analytical ability (Level 3)
- Technology extension - Results orientation (Level 3)
- Technology extension - Teamwork (Level 2)
Relocation assistance will be determined in accordance with the NRC's directives.
This position is classified as a Research Council Officer (RCO), a group that is unique to the NRC. The RCO group uses a person-based classification system instead of the more common duties-based classification system. Candidates are remunerated based on their expertise, skill, outcomes and impacts of their previous work experience. The salary scale for this group is vast, from $49,670 to $140,418 per annum, which permits for employees of all levels from new graduates to world renowned experts to be fairly compensated for their contributions.
- A pre-qualified list may be established for similar positions for a one year period.
- NRC employees enjoy a wide-range of benefits including comprehensive health and dental plans, pension and insurance plans, vacation and other leave entitlements.
- Preference will be given to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada. Please include citizenship information in your application.
- The incumbent must adhere to safe workplace practices at all times.
As an employer who values diversity in its workforce, we encourage candidates to self-identify as members of the following designated groups: women, visible minorities, aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities. Measures for accommodation are available to all candidates retained for further assessment.
Please apply directly through the NRC career website: https://recruitment-recrutement.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/go/All-Jobs/2320717/
Please direct your questions, with the requisition number (1685) to:
For more information on career tools and other resources, check out Career tools and resources