Irving Shipbuilding, located at 3099 Barrington Street Halifax NS B3K 5M7, is part of the J.D. Irving Group of companies and is in the business of building quality ships and repairing vessels. The company's primary site is Halifax Shipyard, with three other locations in the Maritime Provinces. Irving Shipbuilding is currently working on a number of significant projects for the Department of National Defense and the Canadian Coast Guard. The company's commitment to health, safety and care for its employees and the environment is an integral part of its business.
This is a permanent full-time staff role (1 position) based in Halifax NS.
- Education Required:
- Post-secondary degree/diploma, in engineering or engineering technology required, or Journeyman status in any shipbuilding related trade
- Membership in a professional organization (APENS, TechNova) or Interprovincial Certification (Red Seal) considered an asset, but not a requirement
- Years of Experience Required:
- 5-10 years of experience in various roles including Project Management, Subcontractor Management, Supervision of skilled Trades, skilled Trades, etc. working in an engineering/manufacturing/shipbuilding or other similar environment required
- Experience in the shipbuilding/naval sectors, major construction contracts or Defense contracts considered an asset
- Strong written and verbal communication, presentation and interpersonal skill
- Strong leadership and teamwork skills; energetic and results-focused
- High level of competence with Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of document control and configuration management in a Defense environment considered a strong advantage
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Using Client provided specifications and drawings create detailed work scopes and work packages
- Provide cost assessment and evaluation services in support of the Production Contract of the AOPS program
- Evaluate TIRs on a weekly basis to prioritize assessment through the change process
- Estimate all Class 1 (Customer) and Class 3 changes (except minor Production Shop Floor Related Changes less than $5,000.00 or 20 hrs)
- Provide assistance to Supply Chain for cost evaluation of vendor quotations (material and services)
- Evaluate engineering (OMT) quotes related to all changesParticipate as part of the Change Control Board (CCB) working group
- Attend weekly CCB meetings to address cost issues and inquiries
- Determine change value thresholds in order to determine approval level
- Create cost estimates for the Process Improvement department of the AOPS Program
- Assist the Estimating Coordinator with Estimating Department work as required
- Assist other Estimators with multi-disciplinary specification items where necessary
- Maintain a database of changes on Microsoft SharePoint
- Estimating Worksheets are created using Microsoft Excel
- Client Drawings are viewed and analyzed using Adobe Professional or AutoCAD
- Material and Subcontractor RFQ's are created using Microsoft Word or Adobe Professional.
What We Offer:
- Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary commensurate with the experience of the candidate and benefits package including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.