Assistant Manager, Accounts Payable (Term)
Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada’s leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region’s intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our 18,500 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that’s celebrating 200 years of academic excellence in 2018.
Dalhousie Financial Services strives to provide the highest quality financial services and information and ensure the effective stewardship of University assets to the benefit of students and scholarly activities. Financial Services is a core service unit of the University, providing services in areas of financial accounting, budgeting, procurement and risk management, cash management, and financial systems and policies. Reporting to the Manager of Accounts Payable, the Assistant Manager manages the day to day operations of the Accounts Payable (AP) Unit.
- Oversee the day to day functioning of the AP Unit, ensuring high quality processing for all transactions, and serving as primary resource for AP staff and for the campus.
- Provide advice on complex issues, including travel and employee/independent contractor relationships, in accordance with University and research funding agencies’ policies and CRA guidelines.
- Compile data for various analyses and reporting for auditing and budgeting purposes.
- Manage AP staff; liaise daily with team leaders to review work distribution.
- Identify process improvements. Develop and deliver training sessions for staff and university community on AP processes; work in conjunction with Procurement, Departments and Faculties to insure procurement policies are followed with the purchase of goods and services.
Qualifications: Undergraduate degree in Business Administration or Management, plus approximately 5 years’ related experience (or an equivalent combination of training and experience) in financial administration, especially Accounts Payable, is required. Proven leadership and management experience, and strong analytical and interpersonal skills are required. Must have demonstrated experience in a detail-oriented, deadline-driven environment. Strong organizational and communication (verbal and written) skills are a must. Good computer skills, including Microsoft Office, with extensive experience with Excel spreadsheets is required. Experience working with an enterprise system, such as Banner, and experience administering travel claims, are assets.
Dalhousie University supports a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Our total compensation package includes health and dental plans, a health spending account, an employee and family assistance program and a tuition assistance program.
Apply online by 10:00 pm on January 26, 2018, 2018 to competition DPMG-18009.
Salary Range: $43,383 – 58,695 per annum (ADM-04). This is a provisional classification. Formal classification procedures will be initiated by the Compensation & Job Evaluation Unit in approximately six months. This is an 18 month Term position.
This position is part of the Dalhousie Professional & Managerial Group (DPMG).
Applications from university employees and external candidates are given concurrent consideration. Among short-listed candidates, university employees will be given special consideration. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. The university encourages applications from Aboriginal people, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community. For more information, please visit www.dal.ca/respect.