Position: Senior Payroll Administrator (APC)
Department: Human Resources
Annual Salary: $47,807 - $61,609 (Group 4)
Under the direct supervision of the Supervisor, Payroll & HRIS, the Senior Payroll Administrator prepares student/casual/part-time/full-time payroll for a population of over 2000 employees. The Senior Payroll Administrator provides excellent customer service to both internal and external customers and maintains strict confidentiality. The Senior Payroll Administrator will spend a portion of the time doing work similar to that done by the Payroll Administrators, for which will typically be more complex. The Senior Payroll Administrator is responsible for all aspects of the administration of the part-time faculty Collective Agreement as well as interpreting and administrating other collective agreements.
Duties as the Senior Payroll Administrator include, but are not limited to:
- Tracking administrative matters relating to part-time faculty appointments.
- Maintaining all records for part-time faculty members including processing contract recommendations for all part-time faculty and verifying that departmental recommendations are consistent with requirements of both the part-time and full-time faculty collective agreements.
- Recording all signed contracts and following up on outstanding contracts prior to the beginning of each semester.
- Maintaining and annually revising the “Precedence List” for part-time instructors including the communication of the updated Precedence List to Deans and Departments, and to representatives of the part-time faculty union.
- Liaising with the CUPE 3912 local office and providing information as in accordance with the Collective Agreement.
- Maintaining open files on issues and improvements, regarding collective bargaining and areas where technology enhancements will improve service.
- Identifying problems with data entry or processing & finding ways to limit errors through reports/process changes.
- Updating salary tables and processing salary increases.
- Assisting in the development of upload files.
- Troubleshooting when system set up is causing a payroll error.
- Updating benefit/deductions rates as determined by annual rate changes and government legislation.
- Coordinating the development and maintenance of standardized reports and the creation of ad hoc reports to ensure compliance with departmental needs or collective agreement requirements and collective bargaining requirements.
- Reviewing the PIER report annually; identifying balances in dispute; communicating corrections to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA); and remitting amounts owing for Canada pension Plan (CPP) and Employment Insurance (EI).
- Providing Statistics Canada information to Institutional Research and Analysis for annual Faculty Reporting.
- Maintaining accurate payroll information on the HR website and recommending changes as necessary.
- Processing carry over requests and producing annual vacation availability reports as per the Collective Agreement.
- In accordance with the Collective Agreements, generating and providing established reports to applicable departments, unions and union representatives.
- Updating remittance reports upon change in benefit rate changes.
- Responding promptly and effectively to inquiries that have been redirected by the Payroll Administrators and is responsible for gathering information regarding the inquiry, determining the best course of action, resolving the issue and/or redirecting the inquiry where appropriate.
- Approving all payments produced outside of the payroll cycle for all employees.
- Monthly reconciliation of the benefits payment from Banner to the General ledger (GL).
- Standardizing and documenting internal procedures and maintaining the Payroll Procedure Manual.
- Ensuring payroll policies and procedures comply with legislation and collective agreement and policy requirements.
- Providing required payroll back-up support for Payroll Administrators during peak periods and absences.
- Requesting reports and preparing cheque requisitions and/or uploading files for all remittances including Canada Revenue Agency, unions, garnishments, etc.
- Updating salary scales as collective agreements and non-union salary scales are implemented and providing table updates to Finance for approval and to comply with current audit practices.
- Working closely with Financial Reporting and Analysis regarding G/L account inquiries, bank account transactions and accounts receivables processed by payroll.
To be the successful Senior Payroll Administrator you will possess an undergraduate degree with a business concentration, completion of the Intermediate Payroll Level 2 from the Canadian Payroll Management Certificate Program and have a minimum of three (3) years’ of directly related payroll processing experience with a large complex payroll. You will demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both oral and written; have a successful record of teamwork in a high volume work environment with the ability to handle multiple priorities; and superior organizational skills and attention to detail is critical. Excellent computer/keyboarding skills using an integrated computerized payroll system, Word, Excel, File Transfer (FTP) software and Crystal Reports, speed and accuracy important along with the ability to handle and maintain strict confidentiality and understand the conditions under which information can be released will round out your success in this position.
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
The search committee will begin to consider applications on January 12, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
Saint Mary’s University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary’s University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary’s University promotes a scent free environment and is proud to be tobacco-free as of September 1, 2013