Position: Communications Officer, Internal Communications (6 Month Contract)
Department: External Affairs
Annual Salary: $60,000 - $67,000 + 4% in lieu of vacation
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary’s University is one of Canada’s oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary’s University is home to one of Canada’s leading business schools, a science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Reporting to the Associate Vice President, External Affairs, the Communications Officer, Internal Communications is a key member of the External Affairs team within the Office of Advancement. The Communications Officer, Internal Communications is critical in ensuring that internal stakeholders across the University, including the Board of Governors, Faculty and Staff are informed and engaged concerning the strategic direction of Saint Mary’s University and the progress regarding the major initiatives that form part of the University’s multi-year Strategic Plan.
Duties as the Communications Officer, Internal Communications include, but are not limited to:
- Concept development for a semi-monthly e-communication to all staff & faculty and execution of same until a longer term plan and resource is in place.
- Creating a central contact point for internal communications questions and support.
- Communications activities to support launching and engagement with the Strategic Plan including the creation of materials, holding town halls, creating electronic messaging, and communicating updates from the President.
- Developing an Internal Communications Plan that outlines the needs of the audience(s) and identifying the institutional message and tone, including channel identification and criteria for use and means of measurement.
- Ensuring organizational initiatives and projects are successfully communicated to employees and stakeholders.
- Developing creative, engaging and sector leading ideas for enhancing the effectiveness of internal communications.
- Writing speeches and scripts for events, presentations and videos for the senior management group and the President, Chancellor and Board executive.
- Planning, editing and writing content for a variety of internal communications media, such as intranet, social media, e-newsletters, email announcements and updates.
- Working with the University’s Communications Group to re-purpose material the communications officers are developing for an internal audience.
- Liaising with staff and student leaders (SMUSA) responsible for communications to prospective students and current students to ensure consistency in the use of the University’s key messages.
- Supporting parts of the university in the development of campaign or project focused internal communication plans.
- Working with other parts of the university as an expert advisor on issues related to internal communications.
- Keeping up to date with the latest developments in the field of internal communications, in particular ensuring that the university remains current with its social media engagement.
- Monitoring and evaluating the impact of internal communications activities and recommending future improvements.
- Developing an annual internal communications plan that aligns with the university’s annual communications plan.
- Developing and executing semi-monthly e-communications to all Faculty and staff.
- Writing speeches and scripts for events, presentations and videos to support senior administration.
- Working with university communications officers in various Faculties to re-purpose content for internal audiences.
- Advising on improvements and processes for internal communications on campus.
- Developing messages for internal audiences that support the university’s strategic direction and align with the university’s key messages.
- Developing an annual internal communications plan that aligns with the university’s overall annual communications plan.
- Producing and executing project specific communications plans for internal audiences for special initiatives and campaigns of the university.
To be the successful Communications Officer, Internal Communications you will possess an undergraduate degree in English, Journalism, Public Relations, Communications, or a related field required and a minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of experience producing professional communications or other relevant and related work experiences. A Master’s degree and/or experience in a higher education will be considered assets. You demonstrate experience developing content and communications for internal audiences in large organizations such as universities, government, or health care, have experience writing for multiple platforms, including print, email, web, and social media, and excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills with an aptitude for collaborating with others. An understanding of higher education communications strategies; experience working within digital platforms; the ability to balance multiple deadlines in a fast-paced work environment; and demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint will round out your qualifications.
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
The search committee will begin to consider applications on October 23, 2017 and continue until the position is filled.
Saint Mary’s University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary’s University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary’s University promotes a scent free environment and is proud to be tobacco-free as of September 1, 2013