Halifax Regional Municipality Pension Plan
Job Posting – Pension Assistant (One Year Contract Position)
The Halifax Regional Municipality Pension Plan Office is a small, busy and growing office dedicated to the effective operation of a $1.8 billion pension fund serving approximately 10,000 plan members. The Pension Plan is a defined benefit pension plan with an optional defined contribution component. Reporting to the Director of Plan Member Services, the Pension Assistant provides internal pension administrative support and front line contact for general inquiries to the Pension Plan Office.
The primary responsibilities of the Pension Assistant will be to answer questions from plan members and ensure the effective flow of documentation for pension-related events. The Pension Assistant will also be responsible for updating information in the pension administration database, benefit payment processing, filing and other support services.
You have an interest in pension administration and working directly with plan members in a professional and highly regulated industry. You are self-motivated with strong organizational skills and an attention to detail. Being part of a 16-person office, you must be able to work efficiently and effectively in a team environment and be willing to assist other team members when necessary. This position requires above-average communication skills and the ability to work with many stakeholders including plan members, Pension Plan Office staff, members of the Pension Committee, service providers and participating employers. Honesty, integrity, and the ability to keep confidential information private are key requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Primary contact for all incoming calls and visitors to the Pension Plan Office
- Provide excellent customer service by responding to plan member requests in a timely and accurate manner and referring more complex inquiries to senior staff
- Document member calls to provide necessary and detailed information for internal audit purposes and member satisfaction surveys
- Maintain member and retiree electronic databases (i.e. changes of beneficiary, address, etc.) and paper based files
- Complete, process and file required documentation to start a new pension
- Communicate with the pension plan’s external suppliers as required
- Willingness to gain knowledge of pension profession, including legislative environment
- Accept additional duties and responsibilities as pension knowledge increases
- Perform other projects as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Degree or certificate in a business related discipline and at least one year of experience working in an office environment; although a suitable combination of education and experience will be considered
- Enrolment in the Certified Employee Benefit Specialist program and experience working in a pension office environment would be beneficial to the role, but is not a requirement
Job Specific Knowledge:
- Strong customer service skills, positive attitude and good listening skills
- Ability to simplify complicated topics for plan members and employers
- Excellent time management skills; able to meet or exceed service standards
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Demonstrated problem solving and analytical thinking
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, to deal effectively with all stakeholders
- Proficiency in use of current computer technology and related software (MS Word, MS Excel, internet, and email systems)
- Experience with pension administration and benefit payment systems would be an asset
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
To apply for this position, email your resume and cover letter to Lisa Tanner at firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional information about the Plan may be found at www.hrmpensionplan.ca. Only those candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.