Nature of Work: This is a highly responsible professional administrative position overseeing Public Works, Parks & Recreation and the Utility Departments of the City of Charlottetown. Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer, the Deputy Chief Administrative Officer supervises these departments and Officers, as well as provides highly effective advice and support to the Chief Administrative Office relating to the development and implementation of policies and strategies that address the unique qualities and needs of the City of Charlottetown.
As a senior leader of the organization, the incumbent provides forward thinking leadership, technical and managerial expertise to guide the organization in delivering the programs and services as identified by Council. The work is performed with wide latitude for independent judgment and action under the overall direction of the Chief Administrative Officer.
- The Deputy Chief Administrative Officer reports directly to the Chief Administrative Officer.
- Works closely with departmental managers to ensure a commitment to a high level of public service in delivery of the goals and priorities set by Council.
- Develops and fosters close working relations with various external government agencies, developers, consultants and associated professional groups.
- Interacts and builds relationships with bargaining unit representatives.
- Deals with the public with integrity in a professional and courteous manner.
- As a member of the senior leadership team for the City of Charlottetown, the Deputy Chief Administrative Officer assists in setting the priorities for all assigned departments and divisions, providing the strategic framework to assist the organization in meeting the goals of Council and acts as a positive role model for all employees throughout the organization in provision of excellent service to our citizens.
Primary Functions and Accountabilities:
- Provides leadership and accountability in achieving the goals and objectives of City Council.
- Assists the Chief Administrative Officer in the direction and coordination of the City. Ensures that there is a proactive and shared customer focus to effectively communicate and address City Council’s policies.
- Acts as the Chief Advisor to the Chief Administrative Officer and provides such information and reports as required to make effective policy decisions or as required by Council.
- Assumes control and direction of assigned employees of the City, subject to any personnel policies approved by the City.
- Attends Council meetings as required.
- Acts as Ex Officio member of all Committees created by Council pertaining to assigned departments.
- Ensures the effective and economical operation of all assigned Departments. Assure responsible utilization of resources in accordance with sound management practices, administrative guidelines and regulations.
- Provides effective supervision of all assigned Department Heads through counselled leadership and via an effective management team.
- Assists in the preparation of the City’s annual Operating and Capital Budgets for presentation to the Finance Committee.
- Maintains positive public relations in dealing with the citizens at large respecting inquiries and complaints and in the general conduct of City business.
- Discharges such others duties, responsibilities and functions as may be assigned from time to time by the Chief Administrative Officer.
- Leads special initiatives as instructed by the Chief Administrative Officer.
- Represents the Chief Administrative Officer in the absence of, or at the direction of the Chief Administrative Officer.
- Extensive knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of public administration as related to municipal operations and affairs including the basic principles of organization and budget preparation.
- Strong political acumen and respect for the partnership between administrative staff and Council and the ability to take direction from the Chief Administrative Officer.
- Strong organizational, leadership and conflict-resolution skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of corporate budgeting principles and the ability to apply financial and budgetary skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate with strong writing, presentation and listening skills that promote understanding and clarity in a respectful manner.
- Strong analytical and critical systems thinking skills, the ability to analyze a variety of administrative problems, to make recommendations as to their solution and to prepare working procedures.
- Strong leadership skills, demonstrated ability to build effective teams and to delegate authority to subordinates.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with municipal officials, public sector unions, employees, other levels of government, community groups and the general public.
- Strong knowledge of labour relations principles and related legal requirements.
- Ability to function effectively in a diverse and fast paced work environment with challenging and often competing priorities.
Education and Experience:
- A post-secondary degree in Public Administration or a related field from a recognized college or university. An Engineering or Master’s degree is a definite asset.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of experience working in municipal government in a key senior leadership role.
- Extensive experience in the administration of major programs or projects.
- A strong commitment to ongoing professional development.
- A minimum of five (5) years of supervisory experience, preferably in a unionized environment.
- Demonstrated computer proficiency and advanced knowledge in the use of MS Office.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Send your resume and cover letter to Kelly by clicking the Apply Now button. Please specify Deputy CAO in the subject line.