Position: Counsellor (APC)
Department: The Counselling Centre, Student Services
Salary: $69,558 - $89,642 (Group 7)
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary’s University is one of Canada’s oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary’s University is home to one of Canada’s leading business schools, a science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Under the direction of the Assistant Director, Student Services, the Counsellor provides personal counselling to individuals along with Case Management around complex student issues.
Duties as the Counsellor include, but not limited to:
- Providing individual personal counselling using a brief therapy model.
- Assessing and responding to emergency situations and providing crisis response and counselling.
- Designing and assigning individually tailored homework for clients.
- Maintaining appropriate client records.
- Consulting with the Assistant Director on complex client cases.
- Providing clients with the tools needed to help themselves.
- Responsible for decision making regarding clients mental status (i.e. parental notification).
- Accepting and making client referrals both internally and externally.
- Consulting, as required, with other university staff/faculty providing services to students relating to counselling.
- Designing counselling related programs and overseeing projects for The Counselling Centre.
- Researching, preparing and presenting workshops on campus, as required.
- Attending receptions and meetings as requested.
- Ensuring own ongoing professional development and research associated with counselling strategies.
- Liaising with internal and external groups.
- Attending and participating in regular peer consultations and staff meetings.
- Under the discretion of the Senior Director or Assistant Director of Student Services, be available to provide after-hours coverage as required.
- Providing case management on complex client cases involving on and off campus services and agencies.
To be the successful Counsellor you will possess a Masters` degree in counselling, psychology, social work or a related discipline and two (2) or more years of directly related experience and practicum. You will also have current knowledge in the field of counselling gained through study and association with others in the field along with strong assessment skills. Experience with crisis counselling is required.
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
Competition Opens: August 2, 2017 Competition Closes: August 25, 2017
Saint Mary’s University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary’s University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary’s University promotes a scent free environment and is proud to be tobacco-free as of September 1, 2013