Municipality of the District of Shelburne is seeking applications for the full-time, unionized position of Executive Assistant - Administration. This position works from the Municipal Administration Building, located at 414 Woodlawn Drive, Shelburne, NS.
The Executive Assistant position assists with the day-to-day operations of the Municipality as well as administrative and executive support for the Administration Team and the Office of the Warden and Council.
Executive Assistant - Administration:
The Executive Assistant for Administration is accountable for providing executive support for the management and organization of all administrative matters associated with the Office of the Chief Administrative Officer ("CAO") and Administrative Team, customer service and reception duties, as well as providing administrative support for the Office of the Warden and Council.
The Executive Assistant will be required to perform a wide variety of responsible, complex and confidential administrative, secretarial, analytical and research duties.
This position may involve extensive liaison with the Warden & Council, senior management and senior officials in the offices of various levels of government.
The Executive Assistant is required to maintain general awareness of local and municipal matters, corporate priorities and issues, and other matters affecting the municipality. This position may have access to confidential and sensitive materials and absolute discretion is essential at all times.
- Provides administrative support to the CAO and Administration Team, as well as support to the Warden and Council, as required.
- Coordinate the CAOs meeting schedule and calendar by prioritizing and arranging appointments, cancelling and/or rescheduling meetings to ensure that the schedule is manageable.
- Prepares and types correspondence, memoranda, reports as well as background and briefing notes and other documents.
- Assists the CAO and Administration Team on a variety of matters, including highly confidential, sensitive or political matters as well as provides research for Special Projects.
- Acts as recording secretary for meetings when required such as Council and other associations, boards and committees, including preparing and circulating meeting agenda and supporting documentation, attendance at meetings, and prepares draft minutes within seven days of meeting for approval by Deputy CAO.
- Acts as back-up to the Receptionist, which includes covering that position's responsibilities during vacation, sick leave, or other time off. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, being the point of contact at the reception desk for in person visitors, answering and forwarding incoming telephone calls, accepting payments, receiving applications or paperwork related to inspection services and recreation programs, answering municipal service questions, mail pick-up and drop-off, as well as preparing daily cash sheets and confirming daily payment balancing with Townsuite software.
- Follows and understands municipal procedures, policies and internal controls.
- Assists with maintaining and coordinating municipal building room bookings for council chambers, meeting rooms, and other locations as appropriate.
- Assists with records management, ensuring all records can be located when required.
- Assists with the delivery of internal and external communications, including but not limited to website and social media presence, newsletters, advertisements, community letters and certificates of recognition, and informational brochures when requested to do so by appropriate staff.
- Acts as an administrative support person to the Warden and all members of Council who may require assistance with preparing letters, reports, arranging meetings, or attendance at meetings or conferences.
- Responsible for training, communication and troubleshooting with IT supports, program providers, software companies and equipment suppliers related to IT, phone and internet services.
- Acts as the 'in house' support for software including, but not limited to, eScribe, Asana, Adobe, Teams, and Microsoft 365. Training can be provided.
- Ensures coverage of their responsibilities/duties with advanced knowledge of absences.
- Works with their peers to ensure efficiency and effectiveness in their role, always growing and contributing new ideas.
- Performs other administrative duties as assigned by CAO or Deputy CAO from time to time.
- This employee must exercise a high degree of accountability in all aspects of their job and are expected to work independently and follow checks and balances for all tasks.
- This employee must take initiative and ownership in their duties and responsibilities to ensure efficient and effective outcomes for this position.
- A thorough understanding of various levels of government, agencies, legislation and protocols involved in dealing with staff, stakeholders, elected officials and the general public and have the ability to work effectively in a politically sensitive environment, maintaining a high level of confidentiality and trust.
- Experience in processing information and data provided by other staff and creating reports.
- Strong diplomatic and conflict resolution skills to tactfully handle resident questions and concerns and deal with staff interpersonal relations, cultivating a professional image for the Municipality.
- High degree of analytical thinking, planning, prioritization and execution skills.
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- Must be able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing at a professional level with proper grammar and language.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft 365. Willing to train in Townsuite and Laserfiche as well as other software and programs.
- The incumbent must be confidential in all aspects of their employment.
- This employee must recognize that they are a public servant and must show utmost respect always when dealing with other staff, general public and Council.
Hours of Work:
This is a union position that operates in the Administration Department. Regular hours of work are 32.5 weekly between Monday to Friday. This position is eligible for a four-day compressed work week option.
2024/25 salary scale is between $28.40 and $31.44 per hour ($47,996 and $53,134 annually), to be determined based on education, experience and qualifications.
Applicants for this position must be a graduate of a recognized post-secondary institution with a degree or diploma in administration or equivalent with a strong understanding of public sector operations plus a minimum of five years related administrative experience. Training and experience in information technology, office management, as well as a demonstrated knowledge of local government would be considered assets.
This is an internal and external posting. Resumes with cover letters will be accepted until 12:00 pm on Monday, March 4, 2024.
Municipality of the District of Shelburne
414 Woodlawn Drive
PO Box 280
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (902) 875-3544 ext 226