Established in 1963, Strescon Limited has grown to become the largest precast, pre-stressed concrete manufacturer in Eastern Canada. Its primary market covers the Atlantic Provinces and the New England region of the United States. Strescon manufactures a wide range of both architectural and structural precast/prestressed concrete products including bridge girders, wall panels, complete parking garages, hollow-core planking, piling and deck slabs. Strescon presently has two facilities: 70,000 sq.ft. in Saint John, New Brunswick and 50,000 sq.ft. In Bedford, Nova Scotia.
In addition to our engineered precast facilities for custom components, Strescon also operates a 32,000 sq. ft. facility in Saint John which manufactures standard concrete products for engineered drainage systems, such as pipe, manholes and catchbasins.
The Industrial Engineer is responsible for analyzing operations, working with operations personnel to design optimal workflows and production and maintenance processes, increasing efficiencies, and assisting to ensure that final products meet established quality standards.
- Review production processes, systems, and procedures with the intent of promoting a culture of continuous improvement
- Make recommendations and implement continuous improvement programs for production and maintenance processes, as well as processes upstream from production
- Monitor market for production and associated technology and make upgrade recommendations to management for new equipment or other systems that would increase plant efficiency
- Assist in the development, implementation, and monitoring of maintenance control systems focusing on improving efficiency and minimizing cost
- Assist with the continuous improvement of quality control procedures to resolve production issues
- Conduct workflow and time studies to optimize production throughput, capacity and personnel requirements by creating a digital twin of the plant using Simulation tools such as Siemens Technomatic software
- Develop and maintain KPIs relating to production quality and efficiency
- Help develop and manage process documentation and share production efficiency analyses with operations as needed
- Bachelor's degree in industrial engineering or a related engineering discipline
- Strong knowledge of production machinery, processes, and standards
- Proficiency in programs such as Microsoft Office 365, 3D Building Information Modeling ("BIM") software such as Tekla Structures, Virtual Simulation software such as Siemens Technomatics, with exposure to other engineering related Manufacturing Resource Planning ("MRP") software being an asset
- Previous experience or co-op placement in precast concrete considered a definite asset
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Experience with time management and creating Key Performance Indicators ("KPI's")
- Desire to work well in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, and customer-focused environment
- Ability to work productively with a unionized, hourly workforce in a plant environment
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with individuals of diverse backgrounds & disciplines, including various levels of management
- A team player with the desire to work collaboratively with others to improve existing processes
As a member of the OSCO Construction Group, Strescon Limited offers a comprehensive compensation package including health and dental coverage, life insurance, RRSP and tax-free savings account options. Additionally, we offer educational bursaries to children of employees, health & wellness programming, celebratory events and employee sport team sponsorships.
The origins of the OSCO Construction Group go back to 1955 when Ocean Steel & Construction Ltd. was founded in Saint John, New Brunswick. Since that time, the OSCO Construction Group has grown to encompass four main operating sectors: Steel, Concrete, Construction and Corporate. Within these sectors lie an ever-expanding number of construction-related companies and divisions, serving a growing market area and employing over twelve hundred employees.