Classification: Senior management
Reporting To: Executive Director
Location: Miramichi, NB
Purpose of the Position
To plan, organize and direct the Nursing and Services of the Mount St. Joseph, and to provide the best possible resident care, consistent with available resources and in accordance with the Mission statement, philosophy, objectives and policies of Mount Saint Joseph, and relevant licensing and applicable provincial standards.
As part of the senior management team and as an advocate for the residents, the Director of Nursing develops, evaluates and monitors resident care, services and programs within the quality of service concept, and provides information and recommendations to the management team as an advocate for the resident.
Assumes a leadership role in planning, organizing and directing resident care and services utilizing an interdisciplinary/multidisciplinary approach. The Director of Nursing is also responsible for the application of standards and administration of financial and human resources in relation to resident care and services.
The incumbent works with all managers and employees, residents and their families, representatives of various public, private and volunteer agencies, as well as with members of the local community.
The Director of Nursing confers and consults with other professionals, associations, and other agencies in carrying out these responsibilities.
- Ensure the provision of quality resident care and services by monitoring the efficient and effective utilization of resources within the parameters of Mount Saint Joseph policies, standards, and budgets
- Develop, implement and lead the interdisciplinary/multidisciplinary team resulting in quality resident care and services
- Ensure the development and maintenance of policies and procedures of the Nursing department
- Participate in the development of admission procedures and criteria, as well as the appropriate selection and orientation of new residents
- Develop and implement innovative approaches to resident care and services and utilization of human resources
- Administer the Nursing budget
- Select and recommend the hiring of employees for the Nursing department
- Orientate, develop and assess the performance of assigned employees and ensure the provision of continuing education in accordance with their needs.
Health and safety
- Maintains knowledge of current Mount policies and procedures for the disaster and fire plans
- Applies current facility policies and procedures for Infection Control, Health and Safety, Risk Management, Quality of Assurance and other programs as may be required by the Mount
- Ensures there is a comfortable, safe and clean environment for the residents
- Confers with the Medical staff on the Home's nursing and recreation programs as applicable
- Participates in the planning of any building or renovation program affecting the Nursing department
- May assume certain duties of the Chief Executive Officer during their absence including administrative coverage for the facility
- Physically able to perform assigned duties
- Good attendance record
- Good previous work record
**These job duties are only the basic and prime duties of the job. Related and allied duties will be assigned from time to time as may become necessary to the operation of the Home.
The incumbent must have a Bachelor of Nursing with recent courses in Administration or Healthcare, as well as 3 years of relevant experience in Healthcare management.
Must be registered, or eligible for registration, with NANB.
Must possess excellent public relations and interpersonal skills, a high degree of tact, initiative and independent judgment.
The incumbent must demonstrate the following skills:
- Decision making
- Analytical problem solving
- Effective verbal, listening and written communication
- Time management
- Basic computer, including work with word processing, data management
The Incumbent must maintain strict confidentiality in performing the duties of the Director of Nursing. The incumbent must also demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Be honest
- Be respectful
- Possess cultural/disability awareness
- Be flexible
- Demonstrate sound work ethics
Work With Us
- Competitive Salary
- 37.5 hours a week Monday - Friday, may be required to work outside these hours upon request.
- NB Nursing Home Pension Plan, Group Insurance benefits.
- Flexible Vacation schedule.