Position Title: VP, Corporate Development and Strategy
Position Type: Regular - Full-Time
Position Location: Toronto HQ
Requisition ID: 25070
Reporting to the Chief Strategy and Growth Officer, the Vice President of Corporate Development and Strategy will be responsible for leading the company's corporate development office, as well as for supporting the development of long-range strategic plans to improve the company's competitive position and create shareholder value. This individual will help support development of the strategic direction for McCain Foods' underlying businesses and assets, as well as provide the senior executive team with strategic insight. In addition, and in line with the company's strategy, the Vice President will also be responsible for developing the company's corporate development (M&A) framework and acquisition pipeline, leading the execution of corporate development initiatives. This will include the creation of business cases, execution of transactions and playing a key role in the integration of acquired assets. This individual will work extensively with McCain Food's executive team, becoming a key contributor in helping the company realize its growth agenda.Key Accountabilities
The priorities for the role include:
- Support and lead elements of McCain's growth strategy. The organization has identified several key areas of its future growth strategy that have a corporate development component. The VP Corporate Development and Strategy will develop a plan to support this overall strategy and, importantly, will take on leadership of key cross-functional initiatives to help drive progress more broadly across the organization and to support acquisition momentum.
- Lead investments approach, increase consistency in equity investments. The VP will lead M&A and equity investments in the priority areas, in a structured and deliberate manner, engaging the support of both the executive and the Board of Directors in a recommended approach. S/he will develop an approach to placing and managing smaller equity and venture-scale investments that are currently ad-hoc. S/he will leverage sector, market and competitor analysis to identify and prioritize key targets for investment or acquisition. S/he will work closely with senior executives as needed, to provide project leadership in all areas of transaction work including identifying, evaluating, structuring, negotiating, closing and integrating significant corporate business ventures, working with external advisors and internal team members.
- Lead and develop a high performing team. This leader will coach, develop and hire to sustain a high performance culture and support the career progression of those who are ready to move to other areas of the business. This team will have the skills, the intellect, capability and agility to provide insight and analysis on key sectors and target organizations of interest to advance McCain's overall growth objectives.
Key Qualifications and Experiences
- Direct experience leading successful M&A transactions
- Fluency in financial analysis including valuation, financing, and accounting
- Exceptional analysis and decision-making skills with ability to evaluate situations, identify potential impacts and deliver commercially focused, fact-based and forward-thinking decisions
- Strategy development and execution experience
- Demonstrated ability to build collaborative partnerships and work effectively across functions and levels
- Experience with business integrations
- Graduate degree in Finance, Accounting, or Business
- Management consulting or Private Equity experience is an asset
- Food or Consumer Industry experience is an asset
- Strategic Analysis & Commercial Orientation. The ideal candidate will have exceptional decision-making skills, while experienced in analyzing problems and situations and in turn, delivering commercial-focused, fact-based, and forward-thinking decisions with an eye to the potential impacts on the wider businesses. S/he will have a strong instinct for commercial opportunities, and will possess extensive analytical abilities, having played a lead role in analyzing and valuing merger and acquisition transactions and assessing the financial implications in a proactive manner. They will demonstrate adaptability, effectively managing pressure in various situations; in the face of challenges or constraints, s/he will respond with nimble resourcefulness, moving positively and productively towards innovative solutions.
- Relentless Results Orientation. S/he will have a track record of a strong commitment to achieving meaningful results by identifying and acting on opportunities to create value for the enterprise. The candidate will be energized by challenges, and will have demonstrated experience in delivering superior results in adverse, ambiguous situations, both personally and through teams. S/he will ideally have experience in growing / building a business within a corporate environment (i.e. new business creation within an existing enterprise). They will roll-up their sleeves and act with pace to come to successful conclusions.
- Outstanding influencing and relationship management skills. The Vice President will possess a high level of intellect, polish, maturity, confidence, humility and strong communications skills. S/he must demonstrate a track record of working at executive levels to influence others and build consensus and commitment to a recommended direction while managing multiple stakeholders. S/he must exude a natural energy and passion for his/her recommendations. The emphasis will be on working through influence and persuasion, and having a track record of leading cross-disciplinary project teams. Finally, the successful candidate will be able to distill complex issues to their essence and to articulate a compelling case in support of hard decisions required. This individual will genuinely value and solicit others' input and expertise.
- Team Leadership: The successful candidate will be a committed leader with a track record of identifying, nurturing, and mentoring talent. S/he will be an effective manager and people leader with a strong ability to influence business leaders and colleagues, alike. Charismatic and passionate, the ideal candidate will create commitment and enthusiasm within their team to achieve and exceed goals, and will foster a culture that makes people feel valued and respected.
McCain Foods is an equal opportunity employer. We see value in ensuring we have a diverse, antiracist, inclusive, merit-based, and equitable workplace. As a global family-owned company we are proud to reflect the diverse communities around the world in which we live and work. We recognize that diversity drives our creativity, resilience, and success and makes our business stronger.
McCain is an accessible employer. If you require an accommodation throughout the recruitment process (including alternate formats of materials or accessible meeting rooms), please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Job Family: Communications; General & Administration
Division: Global Strategy
Department: Global Growth and Strategy
Location(s): CA - Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Company: McCain Foods (Canada)