At EY, you'll have the chance to build a career as unique as you are, with the global scale, support, inclusive culture and technology to become the best version of you. And we're counting on your unique voice and perspective to help EY become even better, too. Join us and build an exceptional experience for yourself, and a better working world for all.
Job Description: Law Clerk – Canadian Business Immigration
The law clerk will be a professional staff member of the EY Law Business Immigration Group, working in affiliation with EY. The primary role of the law clerk is to support the team of immigration lawyers by drafting immigration applications for individuals seeking permission to work or live in Quebec and in Canada; and to coordinate tracking status expiration dates for ongoing clients.
Your key responsibilities
- As a Law Clerk, you will support multiple and challenging Canadian business immigration engagements and contribute to the delivery of solutions and ideas for our diverse institutional clients.
- Client contact/communication:
- Speaking with HR representatives of corporate clients and employees (applicants) to obtain information to assist in drafting applications
- Follow-up with applicants and HR contacts to obtain copies of visas/documents
- Drafting applications:
- Have basic immigration processing categories and requirements for each category
- On instruction from the lawyer, research current processing requirements at service centres/consulates etc.
- Collect information from HR contact and applicant
- Using available resources, draft complete application packages for review by the supervising lawyer
- Make revisions to drafts
- Ensure that applications are filed in a timely manner
- Meet with lawyers to discuss questions raised by the client and then relate information back to the HR contact/applicant
- Draft emails in response to queries by clients
- Delegate appropriate work to legal assistants, such as: typing of forms, copying of documents, and sending out packages
- Follow up with immigration authorities on pending applications
- Enter expiration dates for applicants' status in tracking system
- Notify clients of upcoming extensions
- Keep individual client status charts updated (where required)
- Communicating with other professional and support staff at EY Law:
- Ensure that lawyers are always advised of client related issues that come to the attention of the law clerk
- Participate actively in meetings of the professional staff of EY Law
- May be required to attend seminars and professional development courses that are relevant to his/her area of specialty
To qualify for the role you must have
- Undergraduate University Degree, College Diploma, or equivalent experience
- 0-2 years of Canadian Business Immigration experience
- Must be highly organized and have the ability to communicate effectively in in Canada's both official languages
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong attention to detail
What we look for
We're interested in strong team players who support their colleagues in reaching their goals while also considering their own workload and development. If you have the confidence to speak up and influence a team that affects big businesses worldwide, this role is for you.
What we offers
At EY, our Total Rewards package supports our commitment to creating a leading people culture - built on high-performance teaming - where everyone can achieve their potential and contribute to building a better working world for our people, our clients and our communities. It's one of the many reasons we repeatedly win awards for being a great place to work.
We offer a competitive compensation package where you'll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. In addition, our Total Rewards package allows you decide which benefits are right for you and which ones help you create a solid foundation for your future. Our Total Rewards package includes a comprehensive medical, prescription drug and dental coverage, a defined contribution pension plan, a great vacation policy plus firm paid days that allow you to enjoy longer long weekends throughout the year, statutory holidays and paid personal days (based on province of residence), and a range of exciting programs and benefits designed to support your physical, financial and social well-being. Plus, we offer:
- Support and coaching from some of the most engaging colleagues in the industry
- Learning opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that's right for you
Diversity and Inclusion at EY
Diversity and inclusiveness are at the heart of who we are and how we work. We're committed to fostering an environment where differences are valued, policies and practices are equitable, and our people feel a sense of belonging. From our actions to combat systemic racism and our advocacy for the LGBT+ community to our innovative Neurodiversity Centre of Excellence and Accessibility initiatives, we welcome and embrace the diverse experiences, abilities, backgrounds and perspectives that make our people unique and help guide us. Because when people feel free to be their authentic selves at work, they bring their best and are empowered to build a better working world.
EY Way of Work and your health and safety
EY Way of Work recognizes flexibility in the way we collaborate, innovate and deliver with the ability to work in-person and remotely. To support a healthy and safe in-person working environment, EY has implemented various layers of health and safety controls while working in the office or at client or other locations. A critical component of EY's workplace safety program includes our COVID-19 vaccination policy which requires all personnel to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 unless an accommodation based on a reason protected by human rights legislation is provided.
EY | Building a better working world
EY exists to build a better working world, helping to create long-term value for clients, people and society and build trust in the capital markets.
Enabled by data and technology, diverse EY teams in over 150 countries provide trust through assurance and help clients grow, transform and operate.
Working across assurance, consulting, law, strategy, tax and transactions, EY teams ask better questions to find new answers for the complex issues facing our world today.