At EY, you'll have the chance to build a career as unique as you are, with the global scale, support, inclusive culture and technology to become the best version of you. And we're counting on your unique voice and perspective to help EY become even better, too. Join us and build an exceptional experience for yourself, and a better working world for all.
In EY Tax, you'll have the opportunity to work with some of world's leading multinational organizations (both private and public) meet complex tax challenges in Canada and around the world. You'll learn how a company's business is run working collaboratively on a team that problem solves for business, financial, and tax challenges.
As a Tax Professional, you will be a part of our Financial Services practice. This position will enable skills development including learning to manage projects, applying technical skills to problem solve tax issues, learning new technical skills and enhancing current technical skills, and career development to the right candidate.
Your key responsibilities
As a Tax Professional: Research technical matters, write on technical matters for clients, (as your skill increases) develop step plans, manage tax projects, and learn commercial and finance matters as they affect tax (e.g., Treasury, Accounting, Corporate commercial matters, and Regulatory matters).
Skills and attributes for success
- Must be able to function well on a team as well as work independently
- Must be willing to learn and work at learning new matters
- Be willing to undertake deep research on tax law, treaties, and interpretations including assisting on tax structuring, international tax, and due diligence (buying and selling) matters
- Work directly with partners or senior tax practitioners and eventually learn to discuss matters directly with clients as well as other advisors
- To extent desired for career enhancements, publish articles on taxation
- Learn over time how banks, insurers and other financial institutions work including insurance and banking regulatory capital rules and the interaction with taxation
- Stay abreast of new tax developments including case law, OECD changes, Treaties, and other changes.
- Complete the CICA In-Depth Courses
- Build your profile as desired by presenting internally and externally on taxation matters (e.g., interesting technical problems solved or new legislation or cases)
- Participate in and contribute to the attainment of team objectives.
To qualify for the role, you must have
- Motivated to make tax a career and to become known as a taxation specialist
- Industry experience in taxation or a professional accounting designation or a law degree
- Canadian Corporate tax experience will be favoured but not required
- Ability to research and write utilizing electronic tax tools.
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work with tight deadlines
- Willingness to learn new technological solutions affecting taxation
What we offer
At EY, our Total Rewards package supports our commitment to creating a leading people culture - built on high-performance teaming - where everyone can achieve their potential and contribute to building a better working world for our people, our clients and our communities. It's one of the many reasons we repeatedly win awards for being a great place to work.
We offer a competitive compensation package where you'll be rewarded based on your performance and recognized for the value you bring to our business. In addition, our Total Rewards package allows you decide which benefits are right for you and which ones help you create a solid foundation for your future. Our Total Rewards package includes a comprehensive medical, prescription drug and dental coverage, a defined contribution pension plan, a great vacation policy plus firm paid days that allow you to enjoy longer long weekends throughout the year, statutory holidays and paid personal days (based on province of residence), and a range of exciting programs and benefits designed to support your physical, financial and social well-being. Plus, we offer:
- Support and coaching from some of the most engaging colleagues in the industry
- Learning opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that's right for you
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we're using the finance products, expertise and systems we've developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime.
Diversity and Inclusion at EY
Diversity and inclusiveness are at the heart of who we are and how we work. We're committed to fostering an environment where differences are valued, policies and practices are equitable, and our people feel a sense of belonging. We embrace diversity and are committed to combating systemic racism, advocating for the LGBT+ community, promoting our Neurodiversity Centre of Excellence and Accessibility initiatives, and are dedicated to amplifying the voices of Indigenous people (First Nations, Inuit, and Métis) nationally as we strive towards reconciliation. Our diverse experiences, abilities, backgrounds, and perspectives make our people unique and help guide us. Because when people feel free to be their authentic selves at work, they bring their best and are empowered to build a better working world.
EY | Building a better working world
EY exists to build a better working world, helping to create long-term value for clients, people and society and build trust in the capital markets.
Enabled by data and technology, diverse EY teams in over 150 countries provide trust through assurance and help clients grow, transform and operate.
Working across assurance, consulting, law, strategy, tax and transactions, EY teams ask better questions to find new answers for the complex issues facing our world today.