Who We Are:
Welcome to Vale in Canada. As a leader in the mining industry, our responsibility is to positively impact our people, communities, and the environment. We value our workforce and offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale is a global leader in the production of iron ore and one of the largest producers of nickel. Active in Canada for over 100 years, Vale employs nearly 6,000 people across our corporate office in Toronto and sites in Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador. Applying the latest technologies to sustainably produce nickel, copper, cobalt, platinum group metals, gold and silver is at the heart of what we do.
With our global headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and approximately 125,000 employees in over 30 countries, Vale is constantly growing and changing. We invite you to be part of our evolution.
We have a proud history of mining in Manitoba. Our operations in Thompson, with two operating mines and concentrator plant, is in the awe-inspiring heart of the northern boreal region. It has a strong future in mining and milling, with an ongoing mission to grow as a safe, prosperous and sustainable nickel producer.
The Vale Engineering & Studies Group has North Atlantic accountabilities to deliver engineering design and studies for the various Vale mines and plants in the North Atlantic region including Thompson.
We are currently seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our Engineering & Studies Group – North Atlantic based in Thompson, Manitoba. This is a permanent position.
The position involves regular trips to underground mines and surface plants. As the Senior Mechanical Engineer, you will be responsible to provide engineering services to the various mines and plants in Thompson and other Vale North Atlantic facilities. Your experience and skills will provide technical direction for complex engineering designs assist and guide others in the design process.
Additionally, in this position you will:
- Be accountable for the integrity of designs produced and legally approve and seal designs and drawings as per the Professional Engineers Act.
- Apply mature engineering knowledge and exercise leadership, mentoring and training to other members of the team.
- Manage the work of design personnel, when assigned, to ensure adherence to scope, schedule, budget, codes and standards.
- Conduct complex engineering studies, field inspections, and prepare relevant reports.
- Participate in the review of construction and commissioning and start-up functions.
- Be familiar with latest codes, acts and regulations and keep abreast of technology and latest developments in the design field.
- Interact regularly with the plants and mines as a subject matter expert providing technical guidance.
- Review of engineering consultant's designs, drawings and specifications on assigned projects.
- Engineering degree in Mechanical Engineering with a Professional Engineering designation preferred.
- A minimum of 8 years' experience
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Robust Knowledge of mechanical systems, including piping systems, HVAC, material Handling systems, dust control and machine design.
- Ability to work independently to achieve outcomes with minimum supervision.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite of programs (Excel, Word, Power BI).
How can Vale grow your career?
The Mechanical Engineer is a critical technical position that will allow the right candidate to grow their career in our mining and exploration activities in Canada. Additionally, Vale Canada offers a series of benefits including:
- Competitive salary.
- Attractive pension and benefits (company paid core coverage, flex health and dental coverage, flex accounts, disability plans and optional insurances)
- Leave for all of life's reasons (vacation, flex, sick, top up for maternity/parental)
- Flexible work arrangements.
- Work culture dedicated to safety, diversity & inclusion, and career growth.
- Grow your career in a large and global company, and mining industry leader.
- Employee Family Assistance Program.
- Online training and career development opportunities.
- Opportunities to advise and oversee the design, budget and construction of new mines and expansions.
Thompson is known as the "Hub of the North." The town was developed in the 1950s around our mine and is now a thriving community. Our home boasts a close-knit and involved community with a vibrant arts and music scene and is known for its hospitality and welcoming nature.
Thompsonites, as we call ourselves, are always ready to welcome new people to town and excited to share its gems with them. Above all, the main draw to Thompson is its unspoiled wilderness filled with waterfalls and wildlife, making it the perfect place for the adventurous soul.
From the Northern Lights to ice fishing, skating, skiing, hockey, sledding, hunting and every winter sport you can imagine, if you love the outdoors, Thompson is the perfect place for you and your family.
Difference Makes All the Difference
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Manitobans Act, accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.
Apply by:October 3, 2023