Welcome to Vale in Canada. Our purpose is to improve life and transform the future. We value our workforce and offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale is a global leader in the production of iron ore and one of the largest producers of nickel. Active in Canada for over 100 years, Vale employs nearly 6,000 people across our corporate office in Toronto and sites in Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador. Applying the latest technologies to sustainably mine critical minerals that power electric vehicles, create renewable energy solutions and help develop life-saving medical equipment is at the heart of what we do.
With our global headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and approximately 125,000 employees in over 30 countries, Vale is constantly growing and changing. We invite you to be part of our evolution.
Our Newfoundland and Labrador Operations are an integrated mining, milling, and processing operation. Nickel concentrate from the fly-in, fly-out Voisey's Bay operation is shipped to our state-of-art Long Harbour Processing Plant where it is refined into low-carbon and high-purity nickel rounds, cobalt rounds and copper cathodes.
We are currently seeking a Mechanical Maintenance Superintendent to join our team in Long Harbour, NL. This is a permanent position on a 4x10 schedule.
The Mechanical Maintenance Superintendent is responsible for the mechanical maintenance in the Refinery area of the plant for the Long Harbour site. The superintendent will lead a team of supervisors and their crews consisting of several trade disciplines.
Additionally, in this position, you will:
- Lead and ensure Safe Production behaviors are exhibited by team members while reducing risk to ALARA. Coaching and mentoring supervision and teams through practical visible leadership and personal safety plan execution. Be courageous in taking corrective action when necessary to address noncompliance issues.
- Incorporate Vale's mission, vision and values into daily activities and decision-making processes.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills in order to engage team members and celebrate building a strong reliability team in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ensure coordination of all mechanical maintenance work for the facility through the Vale Asset Management Framework using work management principals and engaging the Reliability and Maintenance Planning, Scheduling and Material Coordination personnel.
- Facilitate adherence to the work management systems in order to build effective executable schedules that meet the asset reliability requirement while balancing the needs of operations and reducing unscheduled work.
- Monitor and share KPIs to engage team in improvement initiatives and effectiveness of a structured reliability and maintenance organization.
- Participate and promote equipment improvement projects to realize the full potential of the asset.
- Ensure that all work is carried out effectively and efficiently, on time, and on budget and in compliance with all safety policies and procedures and that all work is of the highest quality.
- Manage and maintain the Mechanical shop to ensure that all equipment and tooling that is required to complete work effectively and efficiency is procured, maintained, and calibrated as required.
- Ensure that interface is maintained with work management personnel on a regular basis to ensure that equipment data, spares requirements, and PM procedures and documentation are modified as necessary as a result of additions, deletions or modifications to the plant processes or configuration and constructive feedback from field personnel carrying out the work.
- Provide input on budget requirements for area of responsibility to the Maintenance Manager.
- Provide detailed analysis of Maintenance activities to the Maintenance Manager based on KPIs.
- Evaluate and make recommendations for resource requirements based on corrective of preventive WO's in the maintenance forelog.
- Perform regular audits of planned work packages to ensure that quality is maintained, ensuring that planned work order packages are designed to safely operate without impact to employees, the business, the environment, and the community, and provide feedback to Planners to ensure continuous improvement of the system.
- Work closely with the Operations group to ensure maintenance schedules and activities balance the production requirement.
- Participate in planned outage scheduling and lead execution of activities for area of responsibility.
- Responsible for cost reporting for area of responsibility.
- Contribute to the development, as well as monitor and support CSP (Career & Succession Plans), both personal and for direct reports.
- Contribute to the development of VES (Vale Education System) curriculum for team members and ensure compliance to training requirements.
- Participant/lead teambuilding activities. Recognize team members for outstanding performance.
- Lead/promote the implementation of continuous improvement initiatives and adapt the team to VPS (Vale Production System).
- Post-secondary undergraduate degree in Engineering or diploma in engineering technology.
- Red Seal Certification in a relevant maintenance trade.
- Professional Engineer (P.Eng) designation is considered an asset.
- 8-10 years' experience within maintenance and/or supervisory roles.
- Mechanical discipline, fixed plant processing and/or piping experience preferred.
- Planning and/or scheduling, or work management experience considered an asset.
- Experience with CMMS systems (SAP preferred).
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered.
- Proven leadership capabilities.
- Demonstrated mentoring and coaching skills.
- Excellent communication (verbal & written) and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of the Safe Production model of risk and hazard management.
How can Vale grow your career?
The Maintenance Superintendent position will allow the right candidate to shape our mining operations. Additionally, Vale Canada offers a series of benefits including:
- Competitive salary
- A flexible work schedule and bus service
- Opportunity to earn an annual Employee Bonus
- Attractive pension and benefits (company paid core coverage, flex health and dental coverage, flex accounts, disability plans, and optional insurances)
- All Personal Protective Equipment is provided upon hire. Employees are given a safety boot allowance and receive a 100% reimbursement for prescription safety glasses
- Leave for all of life's reasons (vacation, sick, top up for maternity/parental)
- Employee Family Assistance Program
- Work culture dedicated to safety, diversity & inclusion, and career growth
- Opportunities to grow your career in a large global company, and mining industry leader
- Online training and career development opportunities
Difference Makes All the Difference
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and Vale values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
Pay Grade: 15V
Interested applicants must submit their application online at https://vale.eightfold.ai/careers.
Apply by: Sunday May 29th, 2023