Environmental, Health and Safety Specialist
Who are we?
Founded in 1924, Irving Oil is a family-owned international refining and marketing company with a history of long-term partnerships and relationships. With operations throughout Eastern Canada, New England and Ireland we focus on delivering quality products and exceptional service to our customers and our communities. Every day, we strive to put our good energy in action to bring families together, support the environment and local wildlife, and to create learning opportunities that empower the next generation.
Here's what you can expect from us:
When you're a part of our team, you'll see how we bring good energy to all that we do. At Irving Oil, we strive for a work environment where each of us feels we belong, can bring our whole selves to work, and where we treat our fellow employees with kindness and respect. Together, we will support our corporate strategy, high standards and the communities where we live and work. Our collaborative approach, safety-first culture and commitment to building resilient teams helps reinforce our internal brand position where People Matter. That's why we're dedicated to investing in our employees' potential, so that they can reach their career goals.
What you can expect in a typical day
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as an Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) Specialist within our Products and Terminals (P&T) EHS Team. Irving Oil's P&T business includes a diverse network of bulk petroleum product storage terminals throughout New England and Atlantic Canada, as well as marine vessel and rail transportation operations involving the transportation of bulk petroleum products and other hazardous materials. This role will report to the regional EHS Manager and will be responsible for providing leadership and expertise in support of all EHS-related requirements pertaining to our Canadian marine terminals.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in managing and overseeing day-to-day site safety, working closely with operations personnel and contractors to safely execute high-risk projects and maintenance activities.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary, bonus, and pension plan
- Flexible benefits, including a Health Spending Account
- Hybrid Work Opportunity - flexible work model that supports a blend of in-office and remote
- Wellness support, including annual wellness allowance and paid personal care days
- Paid vacation and vacation purchasing
- Personal and professional development opportunities
- Named one of Canada's Top 100 Employers for seven consecutive years
Your roles and responsibilities:
- Design, implement and coordinate the execution of EHS programs and policies.
- Engage, support, and instruct terminal operations personnel and contractors to promote adoption and continual improvement of personal and process safety programs and policies.
- Review and revise internal programs and policies, as needed, based on operational feedback, incident findings, changing regulations, etc.
- Develop training materials and resources to support the understanding and sound implementation of written programs and policies.
- Develop an understanding of, and provide support in complying with, key environmental-related permits and obligations (i.e. Hazardous Waste, Emergency Preparedness and Response, etc.).
- Work with management personnel to evaluate EHS performance and to develop and implement action plans aimed at improving results.
- Assume a lead role in responding to and investigating all EHS-related incidents. Document and share lessons learned with broader Irving Oil EHS teams and organization.
- Facilitate compliance with the process safety management program elements (i.e., Safe Work Permitting, Contractor Safety, Management of Change (MOC), Emergency Planning and Response, etc.).
- Proactively identify hazardous conditions, hazardous acts, and potential areas of non-compliance.
- Facilitate the completion, review, and timely submission of key regulatory reports and filings.
- Administer and oversee EHS-related applications and subscriptions (i.e., Cintellate, Chemscape, Documentum, ISN, etc.).
- Support terminal management personnel with all EHS-related inspections and inquiries.
- Participate in safety meetings with operations personnel and contractors, promoting safety as a core value.
- Provide interpretation, advice and guidance on regulatory compliance related queries and issues including in-depth reviews, research, and interpretation of compliance items.
- Experience leading teams is an asset.
- Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to motivate differing personalities.
- Organizational skills and the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be adaptable to change.
- Moderate to advanced computer skills.
- Effective decision making and problem-solving abilities.
- The role requires extreme attention to detail. It requires the ability to recognize data and behavioral patterns that could result in EHS related issues.
- Ability to recognize and act against singular and combined risk factors that could result in personal or process safety incidents.
- Experience / ability to read, interpret, and understand contract language and legal jargon.
- Ability to develop strong relationships with a primary focus on listening, educating, and influencing others.
- The ability to do quality research and to make firm data-based decisions and recommendations.
- Effective communication skills.
- Ability to support a 24/7 operation, as needed.
- Travel is a requirement for this position.
Education and experience
- 5+ years relevant experience related to Environmental, Health, Safety and Compliance and/or 5+ years of petroleum and/or transportation industry experience.
- Post-secondary education in EHS program, or equivalent experience.
- Professional Safety designation is an asset.
Irving Oil supports a diverse and inclusive work environment and welcomes applications from all qualified applicants.
Job Requirements - Work Experience
Environment, Health and Safety, Operations
Job Requirements - Education
Bachelors: Business Administration