Automation & Controls Engineer
Location: Charlottetown, PEI
Passion for Controls Engineering and Automation - Concept to Reality Electrical Design Creativity - HMI and PLC Programing and Start Up
CMP is a dynamic and growing stainless steel equipment manufacturer delivering design, fabrication, and installation services and turnkey solutions to our food processing customers. As a division of FPS (Food Process Solutions), we serve customers across Canada, The United States, and Internationally.
We are launching a Global Innovation Center in October 2022 located on our PEI Campus. This is an exciting new investment in innovation for FPS and CMP. We have immediate need for talented Automation and Controls people to join our team located in PEI.
At CMP we strive to be one of the best places to work in Atlantic Canada. Culture is everything. We ensure our employees respect each other, respect our clients, and are collaborative in their approach to their daily workflow.
The Controls Engineer will work alongside and compliment our talented team of over 160 engineers, designers, technical sales, and fabricator/welders. You will have an opportunity to grow your knowledge of automation controls and machinery design and leverage that knowledge to build strength in the supply of turnkey hygienic food processing equipment. CMP is constantly innovating and contributing to more advanced hygienic designs to exceed client needs. We engineer food safety in everything we do.
We have two main engineering focus areas - manufacturing engineering and new product development & innovation. Opportunities in both these focus areas will be discussed during our interview process.
Key Job Responsibilities:
The Controls Engineer is responsible for designing, troubleshooting, and commissioning automated food processing equipment and turnkey process lines. The Controls Engineer will lead overall controls and automation design elements for large complex projects. The Controls Engineer will collaborate with the company's project managers, project engineers, and designers to exceed customer satisfaction in the delivery of best-in-class turnkey food processing equipment solutions.
- Collect technical information from the customer, Technical Sales, Project Engineers, and Project Managers to allow for the design and development of control system strategies for custom food processing products in a collaborative engineering environment
- Work with Technical Sales to provide input and cost estimates for controls components during proposal phase of projects
- Select and design customized machine control systems and instrumentation to meet project objectives within the project timelines set
- Create control schematics and wiring drawings
- Size and select control panel components and create control panel layouts using AutoCAD electrical
- Interface with suppliers and select and specify sensors, measurement equipment, and other controls equipment components
- Prepare Bill of Material (BOM) lists of components required for project implementation
- Program human-machine interfaces (HMI) and industrial programmable logic controllers (PLC)
- Optimize and oversee the build of electrical panels
- Test, simulate, and correct programs that have been designed and conduct factory acceptance tests (FAT) and on-site commissioning site acceptance tests (SAT) of our system solutions
- Troubleshoot all control system related problems with existing customer installed base equipment as well as new project activity
- Assist with customer service issues and controls questions as required
- Collaborate with the commissioning of control systems and act as a resource person when required
- Provide technical support during commissioning and after project start up - from the office and on site at the client's plant site when required
- Technical writing and preparation of controls and engineering reports
- Integrate electromechanical solutions alongside the project engineering team
- Look to optimize and elevate quality of controls and HMI output to customers
- Train and support team members on site and remotely
- Help establish new standards and maintain existing standards
- Education requirements; Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or Instrumentation and Control Technician from an accredited institution
- Mastery of Rockwell Automation (Allen Bradley), Siemens, Schneider, and Wonderware technologies a major asset
- At least 3-5 years PLC controls and related field working experience
- Fully understand CSA and UL Electrical requirements
- Good knowledge of Ethernet networks, fibre optics, and some bus protocols
- Must be fluent in the English language with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Working knowledge of the Microsoft suite of programs
- Must possess a valid driver's license
- Ability to work with a minimum of instructions and complete tasks independently and take responsibility on technical matters
- Must be able to travel to customer sites and follow all applicable safety regulations
- Must be willing to work overtime, weekends, and holidays to meet customer project commitments
- Proactive and able to manage time well; able to build relationships
- Must possess a team player attitude and be able to work in a project team environment
Salary: $60,000 to $75,000 per year plus benefits and paid OT
How to Apply: Send Cover Letter and Resume via email to [email protected] and include Project Manager Application in the subject line. We appreciate all candidates interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.