Who We Are:
Welcome to Vale in Canada. Our purpose is to improve life and transform the future. We value our workforce and offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale is a global leader in the production of iron ore and one of the largest producers of nickel. Active in Canada for over 100 years, Vale employs nearly 6,000 people across our corporate office in Toronto and sites in Manitoba, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador. Applying the latest technologies to sustainably mine critical minerals that power electric vehicles, create renewable energy solutions and help develop life-saving medical equipment is at the heart of what we do.
With our global headquarters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, and approximately 125,000 employees in over 30 countries, Vale is constantly growing and changing. We invite you to be part of our evolution
We have a proud history of mining in Manitoba. Our operations in Thompson, with two operating mines and concentrator plant, is located in the awe-inspiring heart of the northern boreal region. It has a strong future in mining and milling, with an ongoing mission to grow as a safe, prosperous, and sustainable nickel producer.
The Industrial Mechanic/Millwright is integral for employee safety and Vale's long term operating strategy. Members of this team will work at the Thompson Operations to ensure the process equipment and infrastructure is effectively contributing to the production profile. Team members are also involved in the development of long-term and short-term maintenance initiatives, practices and procedures.
Thompson is known as the "Hub of the North." The town was developed in the 1950s around our mine and is now a thriving community. Our home boasts a close-knit and involved community with a vibrant arts and music scene and is known for its hospitality and welcoming nature.
Thompsonites, as we call ourselves, are always ready to welcome new people to town and excited to share its gems with them. Above all, the main draw to Thompson is its unspoiled wilderness filled with waterfalls and wildlife, making it the perfect place for the adventurous soul.
From the Northern Lights to ice fishing, skating, skiing, hockey, sledding, hunting and every winter sport you can imagine, if you love the outdoors, Thompson is the perfect place for you and your family.
We are currently seeking Industrial Mechanic/ Millwrights to join our Maintenance Department in Thompson, Manitoba. This is a permanent position.
As an Industrial Mechanic/Millwright, you will be responsible for installing, dismantling, inspecting, and maintaining mine and/or surface plant equipment. Your experience and skills will contribute to interpreting instructions, sketches, drawings, templates, work orders, procedures and data sheets related to work assignments in either the shop or field.
- The ideal candidate will have an Inter-Provincial Red Seal Certificate of Qualification as an Industrial Mechanic/Millwright
- Minimum of 4 years of industrial experience is preferred. This includes experience with:
- installing, maintaining and repairing hydraulic equipment, mechanical drives, conveyors systems, overhead cranes and pumps
- installing and maintaining boilers and compressors
- Experience maintaining grinding mills, crushers, and screening systems
- Experience maintaining mine hoisting and conveyance systems would be considered an asset.
- fabricating, installing and maintaining pressure piping system
- welding experience would be considered an asset
How can Vale grow your career?
The Industrial Mechanic/Millwright is a maintenance position that will allow the right candidate to shape our mining operations. Additionally, Vale Canada offers a series of benefits including:
- Competitive salary
- Attractive pension and benefits (company paid core coverage, health, dental and disability plans)
- Leave for all of life's reasons (vacation, sick, top up for maternity/parental)
- Work culture dedicated to safety, diversity & inclusion and career growth
- Online training and career development opportunities
- Opportunities to grow your career in a large global company, and mining industry leader
- On site Gym Facilities
- Participation in our Employee Family Assistance Program
Difference Makes All the Difference
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Manitobans Act, accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.
Apply by: March 31, 2023