This position may be located in any region of Atlantic Canada.
Springboard Atlantic is a member-based organization, supported by the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency and our 19 University and College members throughout Atlantic Canada. We work to grow the region's economy by encouraging collaboration among academia, industry, and government and by assisting innovators bring great ideas to market.
Springboard Atlantic is preparing to launch the Atlantic Intellectual Property (IP) Initiative designed to improve IP understanding, capacity and management among start-ups and Business Incubators and Accelerators (BAIs). This 3+ year initiative is a partnership of BAIs across Atlantic Canada and will be delivered by Springboard in coordination with the New Brunswick Innovation Foundation, the PEI BioAlliance - Emergence, Invest Nova Scotia and Genesis in Newfoundland and Labrador. It is supported through Government of Canada's ElevateIP program and will provide support for IP awareness & training, strategy development, and funding for IP protection.
We are looking for an experienced Project Director to join our dedicated team and lead the Atlantic IP Initiative. If you are proven leader who is excited about working within Atlantic Canada's innovation ecosystem and helping start-ups prepare to compete and succeed nationally and internationally, then this is the right opportunity for you.
Reporting to the CEO, you will oversee all aspects of the Initiative from establishing a project team, to ensuring that the goals and objectives of each program are met. Specifically, you will:
- Work with the Springboard CEO and key stakeholders to establish and oversee an operational framework ensuring the effective delivery of the programs for the duration of the initiative
- Build and manage a project team which will include IP Counsellors co-located with delivery partners across the Atlantic region
- Promote and maintain ongoing relations with regional and national partners, collaborators, and stakeholders
- Manage relations with federal and provincial government agencies
- Oversee budgeting, compliance, and reporting
- Engage resources appropriately to drive successful outcomes for the coaches, mentors and startup clients and act as a regional champion for IP awareness
In addition to leading publicly funded multi-million-dollar projects on time and on budget, your experience in managing regional and/or province-wide awards or funding programs for business will be a critical asset.
Your ability to build constructive relationships with the region's BAIs, business enabling organizations, and the startup community along with your knowledge and appreciation for the value of intellectual property strategy and execution will be key to your success in this role.
You should be a:
- Team player and a team leader
- Strong communicator and relationship builder
- Strategic thinker with exceptional business acumen
We are looking for a leader with:
- A minimum of 10 years of experience with at least 5 years in a project or organization leadership role
- Relevant post-secondary education, ideally in Engineering, Applied Science, Business, or equivalent
- Proven success in driving outcomes specific to awareness and training, and funding programs management
- Knowledge of performance metrics and program management techniques
- A demonstrated ability to manage internal and external teams and an ability to understand varied perspectives
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (written, verbal and digital) skills who is comfortable presenting and speaking in public
- A solid understanding of Atlantic Canada's Business Incubators and Accelerators
- An appreciation for the diversity of Atlantic Canada's innovation ecosystem and the flexibility to travel, as required
- Significant experience in building partnerships with government departments and funding agencies, academic partners, business support and advisory organizations including consulting and legal firms
- Direct experience in working with start-ups and has a respect and appreciation for the value of effective intellectual property strategies
This position offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Bilingual (French/English): Desired but not imperative.
If you are interested in this position, please fill out an application via Career Beacon. This position will remain open until it is filled. We will not be accepting applications via email.