SENIOR PROJECT MANAGEMENT SPECIALIST
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A 4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. This year we delivered the second lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we're just getting started. The third ship will be delivered in 2022.
We are growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Senior Project Management Specialist.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the 2SLGBTQ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued. ISI is committed to working towards a barrier-free workplace and to expanding the accessibility of the workplace to persons with disabilities. Candidates who require accommodation during the selection process are invited to contact [email protected].
Working as part of the Program Organization, this role is primarily focused on leading a small, specialist technical project management team to ensure all Government Furnished Information and Material (known as GFX) required for designing and building the ships is supplied in accordance with Program requirements, on time and to the right quality.
The Senior Project Management Specialist will lead activities to support the Government as a critical supplier to the CSC Program, and will hold responsibility for developing collaborative processes, readiness activities, planning and continuous improvement. The role will focus heavily on driving Government deliverables in-line with the CSC Integrated Master Schedule (IMS). This critical role will hold responsibility for the enablement and coordination of GFX within ISI via an end-to-end Product Lifecycle approach.
- Education Required:
- Relevant Degree and/or relevant post-secondary education (e.g., Business or Project Management);
- Formal Project Management Qualification (PMP or equivalent);
- Formal training or qualifications in Product Lifecycle Management or associated data systems - desirable;
- Experience Required:
- A minimum of 5 years' experience related to the position is required (for example, project management for a large Government contract or similar).
- Experience within the following fields is also required:
- Demonstrable experience working with Government Supplied Material and/or Information (GFX) in a shipbuilding environment;
- Demonstrable experience handling Controlled Goods and information subject to International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR);
- Demonstrable experience of working in a multi-disciplined project engineering environment;
- Project engineering experience in an environment which handles complex technical data;
- Project Management experience within a major Government funded project;
- Experience of working within a cross functional technical group;
- Excellent communication skills
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Development of a suitable Project Management strategy and drive readiness activities to deliver relevant CSC Program GFX activities;
- Responsible for existing GFX processes and leading the development and implementation of new processes to ensure robust management of GFX within the defined scope area;
- Maintain and further develop the relationship between key subcontractors and functions in relation to GFX;
- Drive Program GFX Deliverables, data management activities and integration in-line with the Integrated Master Schedule (IMS);
- Lead and develop a team to deliver current and future scope related to GFX and to ensure business continuity.
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies.
- Relocation costs (if applicable)
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Talent Acquisition at [email protected].
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however; only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.