Location: St. Patrick's Mercy Home
Licensed Practical Nurse I (Repost)
Long Term Care
Permanent, Full Time
75 bi-weekly (8 and 12 hour shift work; days, nights, evenings, weekends, rotating)
CG-29 ($25.51 - $28.33 per hour)
16 November 2022
Open Until Filled
Eastern Health is the largest, integrated health authority in Newfoundland and Labrador employing approximately 13,000 dedicated employees and serving a population of more than 300,000 people. The authority offers the full continuum of health and community services including public health, long-term care, community services, hospital care and unique provincial programs and services. At Eastern Health we pride ourselves on providing the highest quality care and service possible to the people in our communities, in our region, and in the province. To do that, we employ qualified, competent and caring individuals who are dedicated to their professions and to our vision of Healthy People, Healthy Communities.
Licensed Practical Nurses are valuable members of the Resident Care Team in long-term care. They provide quality nursing care to residents by assisting in their daily living activities, providing personal care, and promoting independent living. In long-term care, the LPN role is directed towards meeting the resident's physical, social and spiritual needs through partnerships with the resident, the resident's family, and other members of the interprofessional team. The LPN as appropriate is accountable for the planning and supervision of care, within their scope of practice. They are accountable to provide support and direction to Personal Care Attendants, monitor resident outcomes, intervene if necessary, and reassess and adjust the plan of care or resident assignment as needed, in consultation with the Registered Nurse.
Long-term care settings are often complex. Residents have diverse needs resulting from such conditions as chronic illness and functional and cognitive impairments. This population includes frail or elderly adults, individuals with physical and intellectual disabilities and/or individuals with mental illness. The work environment is fast paced with frequent contact with the public, residents, and other health professionals.
By applying for this job, you acknowledge an understanding that regular requirements and demands of this job include (but are not limited to):
- Regularly requires physical exertion and handling, moving, pushing, or pulling objects between 10 - 15 lbs and occasionally required to support, lift, or move patients/objects up to 30 lbs.
- Regularly required to work in awkward cramped positions (bending/kneeling/stretching) and constantly standing and moving about.
- Regularly pushes and pulls objects using light to medium forces and stands and walks.
- Regularly requires visual concentration to give medications, read orders/referrals, patients' charts/document, observe and treat patients combined with time pressures and deadlines.
- Successful completion of an approved Licensed Practical Nursing program.
- Current licensure with the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Newfoundland and Labrador (CLPNNL).
- Current BLS certification is required.
- Gerontology experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of seniors' issues and support best practice in gerontological care.
- Ability to deal effectively with end-of-life issues.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain effective working relationships.
- Demonstrated initiative and the ability to work independently.
- A satisfactory record of work performance is required.
Open to external applicants.
This is a reposted position. If you have already applied your application is on file for consideration.
Apply online at https://employment.easternhealth.ca
Upon successfully applying for a vacancy then you will receive a confirmation email. If you do not receive this email please contact Recruitment 777-7777 ext 5-2 immediately
To become a part of our team, please submit your resume/cover letter or application form online, clearly demonstrating how you meet the required qualifications. Include your current mailing address, day-time contact number, e-mail address, competition and employee number if applicable.
Contact Information for Recruitment Related Inquiries:
Telephone: (709) 777-7777 (5-2) or 1-800-563-3693
Email: [email protected] Applications/resumes are not accepted at this email address.
If you are no longer interested in the position, you can withdraw your application by emailing [email protected] as soon as possible.
Eastern Health is committed to inclusive and barrier-free recruitment, selection and onboarding processes. We are happy to assist applicants requesting accommodation or support during the process. Please email [email protected] or call 777-7777 press 5 then press 2 (long distance 1-800-563-3693) outlining how we can help.
EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate will be required to provide a satisfactory Certificate of Conduct from the RCMP or local Police (Vulnerable Sector Check may be required), educational documents, registration/licensure if applicable and Social Insurance Number.