Saint John, NB or Halifax, NS
Reference # HL-16225
Ocean Capital Holdings Limited is a privately held company located in Saint John, NB with interests across a number of business lines, including broadcasting, real estate, construction, industrial distribution and service. Our purpose is to have winning businesses and great people, all contributing to better communities. They unlock the potential of their businesses through imagination and a passion for winning, and they celebrate the uniqueness in each person. Their focus is on excellence and accomplishments.
This position reports to the Manager- Accounting and will provide a range of services and support to Ocean Capital Holdings Limited (OCHL) and related companies. The individual should have a keen interest in investment accounting and looking to utilize and hone these skills in a fast paced and collaborative environment that supports ongoing professional development. The successful candidate will join an experienced team of senior finance, investment and accounting professionals. As an integral member of the accounting team, you will play a critical role in the accounting, investment and financial reporting for your portfolio.
Responsibilities will include:
- Prepare periodical financial reporting and financial statements for the investment holdings, including the determination of net asset value.
- Monitor the financial control elements covering assets, liabilities, income and expenses, and equity.
- Complete cash, portfolio and capital reconciliations and investigate and resolve any discrepancies.
- Ensure income and expense allocations including calculating asset based and performance fees.
- Account for day to day transaction activity covering corporate actions, income and expenses, capital transfers and performance.
- Account for private equity and alternative investments, capital call and distribution activity.
- Investigate, communicate and resolve valuation, timing and other financial reporting issues.
- Ensure data integrity in the investment portfolio management system.
- Assist in the daily reconciliation of custody and broker accounts including price and holdings verifications and promptly researching and correcting variances.
- Prepare monthly financial statements and schedules, including journal entries, reconciliations and variance analysis for multiple companies.
- Prepare annual budgets and schedules including management reporting and forecasting.
- Act as subject matter expert for the accounting element of our portfolio management system.
- Assist in creation of annual management and shareholder reporting.
- Support and engage with audit processes - internal and external.
- Assist with the development and implementation of formalized accounting and reporting policies and standards.
- Assist in identifying and implementing process improvement initiatives impacting accounting and reporting.
The ideal candidate will possess:
- Chartered Professional Accounting (CPA) designation
- Proficiency with MS office tools and advanced proficiency with Excel
- Effective communicator
- Creative thinker and problem solver
- Reliable self starter with ability to work independently
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Understand and appreciate the need for confidentiality
- 2-4 years experience in an investment accounting role or an interest in investment accounting training
- Experience with recognized investment portfolio management software in the pension or mutual fund industry
- Knowledge of concepts related to financial management, capital markets and portfolio management
- Experience with mid-market to top tier ERP system
If you are an experienced accounting professional looking for a great opportunity to work with a diverse group of companies, we want to hear from you! Connect with us to learn more or apply now.
To express interest in this opportunity please apply online by clicking the link below:
For more information about this exciting opportunity please contact Heather Labucki, Partner, or Jason Ozon, Consultant, at [email protected] If you require accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please let Jason Ozon know.
Meridia Recruitment Solutions connects leading organizations with top talent by building strong relationships and creating ideal matches with candidates because we are only successful when you are. We appreciate your interest in this opportunity.
To learn more about Meridia Recruitment Solutions, our job opportunities, and career advice we invite you to explore our site and subscribe for career alerts.