QUALITY ASSURANCE ENGINEER
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A 4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. This year we delivered the second lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we're just getting started. The third ship will be delivered in 2022.
We are growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Quality Assurance Engineer.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the 2SLGBTQ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued. ISI is committed to working towards a barrier-free workplace and to expanding the accessibility of the workplace to persons with disabilities. Candidates who require accommodation during the selection process are invited to contact [email protected].
The Quality Assurance Engineer will be a key member of the Quality Team supporting the business to ensure effective maintenance of the Quality Management System in accordance with ISO 9001, with focus on educating and supporting business stakeholders for the application of the quality and process toolsets.
- Education Required:
- Relevant post-secondary education required - a bachelor's degree in Engineering would be considered an asset
- Professional Engineer or ENS membership preferred
- Quality specific certifications i.e. Auditor training, Lean certification, Quality engineer certifications are all considered an asset
- Experience Required:
- 5 years of experience in a role within a Quality business function
- 5 years of experience working within the Defense Industry
- Experience working within a naval new build environment is considered an asset
- Strong knowledge of ISO compliance standards
- Strong working knowledge with problem solving/root cause analysis
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Leveraging detailed understanding of the business, support cross-functional oversight and alignment with business performance objectives and metrics, identifying any potential risk areas.
- Contribute to 3rd party and external audits (ISO) when required, including identifying any pre-audit preparation actions.
- Work with the business in preparation of ISI internal and external audits across the Shipyard to ensure business compliance.
- Oversee nonconformities and corrective actions through the appropriate stages ensuring stakeholders have the support required for timely actions and closure.
- Review quality data, identify trends, patterns, anomalies and make recommendations regarding indicators related to changes in quality levels throughout the business
- Develop and maintain quality metrics database to continue to drive ownership and accountability throughout the business
- Support continual improvement initiatives through engagement with business stakeholders, including participation on project teams and meetings
- Work with the Strategy & Governance management team to encourage stakeholder engagement, foster team relationships, and improve processes within the department.
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies;
- Relocation costs (if applicable).
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Talent Acquisition at [email protected].
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however; only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.