INFORMATION SECURITY SPECIALIST
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A 4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. This year we delivered the second lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we're just getting started. The third ship will be delivered in 2022.
We are growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking an Information Security Specialist.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the 2SLGBTQ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued.
The Security Integration, Information Security Specialist reports to the Director of CSC Security Integration, serving as the CSC Program subject matter expert on information security and compliance issues.
This role ensures that sensitive CSC information (UK OS, Protected A/B, Classified) is properly transmitted, received, and stored in accordance with the Corporate Security Policy and other government direction.
The Information Security Specialist will coordinate daily with ISI's Defence, Trade and Compliance department, and engage frequently with ISI primary subcontractors (LMC and BAE) to ensure their compliance with corporate security policy and contractual security requirements. This role will also contribute to the CSC Security awareness plan, engaging across departments to educate all levels on proper security procedures and information handling.
- Minimum five years of experience in a role related to information security, contract security, and/or defence trade compliance policies (previous experience with Canadian defence contractors an asset);
- Minimum two years of experience in the development of policies and processes to adhere to external standards;
- Previous experience in a Contract Security Program role (CSO / ACSO) or
- Controlled Goods Program role (DO) an asset;
- Previous experience within the fields of Compliance, Document Control, IT Security an asset;
- Working Knowledge with the following Programs is a requirement :
- MS Excel
- MS Word
- MS PowerPoint
- MS Outlook
- Adobe Acrobat
- Must have excellent communication skills and the ability to converse with all levels of management.
- Must be efficient in prioritizing workloads and multi-tasking to ensure deadlines and milestones are achieved.
- Must be a Canadian citizen (requirement driven by regulatory role requirements).
- Valid security clearance an asset
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Act as an information security and compliance specialist for the CSC Project, Security Integration Team;
- Coordinate with the Director, CSC Security Integration and the Irving Shipbuilding Defence, Trade and Compliance (DTC) Team on issues relating to the Contract Security Program as they relate to the CSC project, including complex clearance and classified document handling protocols;
- Coordinate with the DTC Manager, Export Compliance on complex issues relating to the handling of CSC related sensitive information (including unclassified military technical data, Controlled Goods, export-controlled material, and foreign-origin export-controlled material) as per established guidelines;
- Contribute to the authoring and editing of security-related policy documents and procedures;
- Lead Security Awareness and Security Education for the CSC Program
- Establish strong working relationships with government officials and representatives of the security and compliance departments of subcontractors;
- Contribute to risk mitigation strategies in relation to security and compliance issues for the CSC project; and
- Performing audits and investigating breaches of policy and process.
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies;
- Relocation costs (if applicable).
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Talent Acquisition at [email protected].
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however; only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.