Position at VON Canada (Ontario)
Employment Status: Temporary, Full Time (1.0 FTE)
Program Name: Caregiver Support & Education Programs
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 75
Work Schedule: Days, Evenings
Anticipated End Date: 10/20/2023
Union/Bargaining Unit: OPSEU
On Call: Yes
The Coordinator facilitates the development and delivery of education and health promotion programs, awareness and skill development to family caregivers pertaining to dementia and related dementia's within the framework of VON philosophy, policies, procedures, standards and quality management.
- Provides leadership in developing the annual plan for caregiver education and support groups offered to family caregivers.
- Plan, implement, maintain and evaluate caregiver education series and support groups activities in the community to support clients that are supporting someone with Alzheimer's Disease or related dementia's.
- Maintain current knowledge of dementia and relevant resource information.
- Provide resources, training and other support to caregivers and other relevant staff to assist their efforts to care for clients and their families.
- Perform administrative tasks such as data entry into client database for statistical purposed, participate in team meetings and other external duties as required.
- Post secondary education in health or social services with a focus on gerontology and dementia.
- Knowledge of Adult Education principles and approaches.
- Experience in Adult Education, including program design and evaluation.
- Experience working with persons with dementia, their caregivers and other service providers/community partners.
- Current knowledge on dementia and expertise in all aspects of dementia care.
- Demonstrated understanding of caregiver issues, the healthcare system and community resources.
- Knowledge and experience applying the principles of adult learning.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a self-directed manner with minimal supervision.
- Organizational and problem solving skills.
- Computer skills in utilizing Microsoft Office Program and internet.
- Valid driver's license and access to a reliable vehicle.
- The use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) may be required.
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its' discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates.
In accordance with the Employer's policy, Mandatory Vaccination: COVID-19, it is required that all VON Canada Nova Scotia Branch, VON Canada Ontario Branch and VON Canada (National) employees, contractors, volunteers and students be fully vaccinated (subject only to legitimate established exemptions of a medical nature or where there is a valid human rights exception).
To facilitate this policy, all VON Canada employees, students, contractors and volunteers will be required to provide written attestation confirming that they are fully vaccinated and reasonable proof of vaccination status, inclusive of any government-issued documentation.