Control Systems Engineering III Specialist
Who are we?
Founded in 1924, Irving Oil is a family-owned international refining and marketing company with a history of long-term partnerships and relationships. With operations throughout Eastern Canada, New England and Ireland we focus on delivering quality products and exceptional service to our customers and our communities. Every day, we strive to put our good energy in action to bring families together, support the environment and local wildlife, and to create learning opportunities that empower the next generation.
Here's what you can expect from us:
When you're a part of our team, you'll see how we bring good energy to all that we do. At Irving Oil, we strive for a work environment where each of us feels we belong, can bring our whole selves to work, and where we treat our fellow employees with kindness and respect. Together, we will support our corporate strategy, high standards and the communities where we live and work. Our collaborative approach, safety-first culture and commitment to building resilient teams helps reinforce our internal brand position where People Matter. That's why we're dedicated to investing in our employees' potential, so that they can reach their career goals.
What you can expect in a typical day:
The Control Systems Engineering Specialist III is the senior level technologist responsible for designing complex system integration, automation and control logic from scratch, it is also charged with maintaining existing, developing, and implementing new automation and protection systems and strategies to ensure physical refinery assets achieve peak availability and performance. This role troubleshoots most complex operational issues, makes recommendations, designs and implements changes and improvements to ensure optimum performance of plant assets and safe reliable operation. This role is also responsible for monitoring and maintaining automation and critical HSE systems as well as managing critical environmental monitoring and compliance systems, operating asset management systems for HSE critical networks and devices and maintaining the security and integrity of these systems. This role frequently requires interacting with and modifying HSE critical systems which are often solely responsible for preventing severe
incidents and which are essential in enabling operation of the Saint John Refinery.
What we offer:
- Competitive salary, bonus, and pension plan
- Flexible benefits, including a Health Spending Account
- Wellness support, including annual wellness allowance and paid personal care days
- Paid vacation and vacation purchasing
- Personal and professional development opportunities
- Named one of Canada's Top 100 Employers for six consecutive years
Your roles and responsibilities:
- Design and develop innovative and complex system integration, automation and control logic and safeguarding logic to enhance performance of the Refinery. Lead the implementation of those solutions, train and support teams ensuring a safe reliable operation.
- Own the technical interface with third party vendors providing liaison between Irving Oil and vendors to advocate for Irving Oil on designing infrastructure, monitoring performance and ensuring requirements are met.
- Execute management, maintenance and growth activities for process automation and protection systems including configuration and programming activities, as well as installation and commissioning work flows. Design, develop and implement new configurations and optimize and maintain existing configurations of standard process control systems, advanced control applications, closed loop, open loop, complex logic and matrix style control systems along with machinery control and monitoring systems and process safety systems.
- Manage automation system performance and develop solutions for optimization and to help improve efficiency. This includes developing and implementing preventive and predictive maintenance routines and activities.
- Execute life cycle and risk management activities and ensure appropriate actions are taken to prevent or minimize the effect and duration of hardware failures.
- Provide guidance to project teams and helps support engineering teams develop work packages through providing design input and supporting HAZOP & LOPA activities.
- Design and implement changes to enhance cyber security of critical systems and equipment and ensure continued operation of the automation systems.
- Work effectively in a fast-paced team environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, analytical, attention to detail, self-starter, ability to multitask.
- Proven time management skills.
- proven ability to effectively contribute in a collaborative team environment.
- Strong troubleshooting and critical thinking skills.
- Must be able to quickly shift focus based on needs of the operation.
- Travel is not a requirement for this position.
Education and experience
- NBSCETT PTech Certification, Red Seal is an asset.
- 15+ years of related experience, 8+ years industrial environment (refining preferred)
Irving Oil supports a diverse and inclusive work environment and welcomes applications from all qualified applicants.
Job Requirements - Work Experience
Job Requirements - Education
Saint John, NB