DIRECTOR, ENGINEERING - PLATFORM AND SPACIAL DESIGN
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A 4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding has a proud history as Canada's shipbuilder. A proud member of the J.D. Irving, Limited group of companies, we have been building quality vessels and fabricated modules for more than 50 years, and our Halifax Shipyard has been at the forefront of Canadian shipbuilding for 130 years.
Since 2012, we have invested more than $400 million in facilities, people, processes, and technology, making Halifax Shipyard one of the most modern and capable shipyards in North America. Over the next 30 years our shipbuilders will construct 20 modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of Canada's National Shipbuilding Strategy, the largest defence procurement in Canadian history. This year we delivered the second lead Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ship, the largest Navy ship built in Canada in 50 years and we're just getting started. The third ship will be delivered in 2022.
We are growing our team with career-defining opportunities that will revitalize Canada's shipbuilding industry and provide Canada's sailors with the ships they need to protect Canada's interests at home and abroad. Our workforce of over 2,000 will grow to more than 2,800 at peak construction of the Canadian Surface Combatants. We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on the ships, including the Halifax-class frigates.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Director, Engineering - CSC Platform and Spatial Design.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the 2SLGBTQ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued.
- Appropriate academic qualifications in a relevant discipline plus 10- 15 years' experience in an engineering and leadership role working in a shipyard or major defence program;
- Experience in designing against naval requirements and delivering products in a defence environment is strongly preferred;
- Experience of working in a multi-party collaborative environment that includes industry partners, the customer and end user, ideally with some element of international work;
- Extensive Knowledge of complex engineering, the processes involved in spatial arrangements and gaining agreement across stakeholders gained through practical experience;
- Ability to lead & develop people and create an environment where people can thrive;
- Ability to develop and execute strategy through policy & process deployment;
- Ability to work well in high pressure situations in order to meet deadlines;
- Ability to quickly develop a broad understand of the business;
- Knowledge and experience of leading technical teams;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Organised, flexible and easily adaptable to changing conditions;
- To hold or be capable of holding a recognized professional status such as Professional Engineer (PEng) or Chartered Engineer (CEng).
- Managing with vision and purpose;
- Drive for results;
- Dealing with ambiguity;
- Conflict management and consensus building;
- Building effective teams;
- Developing people.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
Key Performance Indicators
- Quality (QSHE) - Ensuring the product safety of the new CSC vessels so that they are safe, fit for purpose and meet requirements;
- Cost - Ensuring that the design is affordable and buildable;
- Delivery - On time delivery of the design and engineering products need for production.
- Develop, implement & maintain policies that provide a clear framework and operating model for the design of CSC platform and the spatial arrangements;
- Working with the members of Production and Planning, provide leadership that ensures all build strategy requirements are effectively met;
- Direct and manage the delivery of information and technical data within ISI and with our partners and suppliers;
- Continually assess risks and build appropriate mitigation strategies and contingency plans;
- Develop and continuously improve the capability of the organization.
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan;
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs;
- RRSP matching program;
- Health & Wellness reimbursements;
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development;
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies;
- Relocation costs (if applicable).
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as 'Safety Sensitive' where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Talent Acquisition at [email protected].
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however; only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.